Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sidescreens - Paint or Cover?
jambojeef

posted on 23/4/08 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sidescreens - Paint or Cover?

Made these (very slowly) over the last couple of months.

They are ally sandwich (alupanel) bonded and rivetted to ally sheet and perspex.

Nice and stiff and not too heavy at about 2kg a side with wing mirror.

Thing is, they dont look very nice up close and the sika is visible through the perspex - there are also some fairly nasty edges on the alupanel and the rivets look nasty on the inside so the question is - do I paint or cover them with fabric?

Would like to think that if I did it myself it'd look really nice but my sewing machine skills are dire and so Id have to pay - is it worth it or do I just get some paint and get over the nasty edges or what?

Comments please......thankyou!

geoff Rescued attachment sidescreens.JPG
Rescued attachment sidescreens.JPG

speedyxjs

posted on 23/4/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
They may not look very nice up close but they look great from here

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

02GF74

posted on 23/4/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
wots with the squiggles? is that the sikaflex?

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/4/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Black sticky back vinyl (cut up a sunscreen strip) round the window frame? Panel looks nice in bare metal.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 23/4/08 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
remove the perspex and adhesive then get the whole lot powder coated in satin black before re-bonding the perspex. The black adhesive will then be hidden by the black powder coating.

If you have rivet heads showing on the inside then make a second skin of thin ally to finish off.

Edit to say...
They look fantastic by BTW

[Edited on 23/4/08 by nick205]

jambojeef

posted on 23/4/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, that might be a plan Nick...

The squiggles are where the perspex bonds to the Alupanel frame and over laps front and back for a bit of extra rigidity.

Taking off the perspex and powdercoating would mean the perspex will get destroyed but it could be a possibility......

Hmm, nobody apart from whippy would cover them then? Im thinking some nice "mohair" type fabric and get a decent company to do it?!

Geoff

Hammerhead

posted on 23/4/08 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
mask off and spray a black frame to cover the squiggles with plasticote. Sticks well to acrylic.

jambojeef

posted on 23/4/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah thats what I think I might do - its cheaper in these cash strapped days and might look ok?!

Hammerhead

posted on 23/4/08 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jambojeef
Yeah thats what I think I might do - its cheaper in these cash strapped days and might look ok?!

Worth a go, will only cost about £6

I spray quite a lot of acrylic with it, if you spray the inside of the acrylic you wont accidently scratch it. But in my experience it's pretty tough sprayed on the outside.

[Edited on 23/4/08 by Hammerhead]

Humbug

posted on 23/4/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Nice-looking from this distance!

If you want to cover in vinyl/mohair, etc. you could glue it on. I went from flyscreen to aeroscreen, so my sidescreens (ali with lexan windows) were a bit too tall, so I removed the lexan to leave half doors and glued on material cut from an old hood to make it look better (the ali had gone a bit mucky): a single piece per side. That option may be more difficult as you have stuck the windows on already, but maybe you could make vinyl "frames" to stick around the edge of the windows as well as cover up the main doors.

If the rivet heads are on the inside, then you could also stick vinyl over the top of them as well...

Re the edges, U trim of some sort?

jlparsons

posted on 23/4/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
They look cracking mate. You going to do a ragtop to go with?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

C10CoryM

posted on 23/4/08 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Might sound strange but would a texured black paint look good on them?
Wrinkle finish or similar. Will also hide a lot of imperfections too.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 23/4/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good - why did you not carry the rear upright to align with the roll bar?

Then a light canvas roof and screen in roll bar and you would have an all-weather runabout.

piddy

posted on 23/4/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
look great.
I would Paint or powder coat the top frame black. and spray the bottom panel to match the car colour.

I did mine and covered them in Black exterior vinyl. ( see picture) Rescued attachment First show line up.jpg
Rescued attachment First show line up.jpg

jambojeef

posted on 23/4/08 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
Looks good - why did you not carry the rear upright to align with the roll bar?

Then a light canvas roof and screen in roll bar and you would have an all-weather runabout.

I did try this initially but the screens are very long and having the angle makes it a lot easier to get in - more than you might think anyway...!

Im thinking maybe some mohair or vinyl might be the way.....anyone know of any friendly car trimmers oop north who might be up for the job?

Then again the added weight might be a bit much for the hinges.......

Hmm, its a thinker!

triumphdave

posted on 23/4/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I find the problem with cloth is keeping it clean,looks nice when new but dont take long to get grubby.

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.