Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bonnet hole
triumphdave

posted on 7/3/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
bonnet hole

After fitting the new engine the hole in my bonnet didnt line up with the new carbs,so I have had to cut it bigger,prob is it looks pants now,any ideas how I can tidy it up a bit.
[img]http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk[/img]

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

twybrow

posted on 7/3/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I would make up a sort of shroud type cover. Maybe from alu like you have, or even moulding a bit of carbon (but would involve more work). Something that fits over the large hole to cover up the original edge, but better fitting to the actual shape. Clear as mud right?!

bimbleuk

posted on 8/3/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem on mine when I fitted my new plenum. I was unsure how to make a subtle cover so I made a feature of it instead! I quite like it now as it hints to the engine inside.

Split front view engine/hood
Split front view engine/hood

triumphdave

posted on 8/3/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
I had a similar problem on mine when I fitted my new plenum. I was unsure how to make a subtle cover so I made a feature of it instead! I quite like it now as it hints to the engine inside.

That looks pretty cool,I like it.Not sure I could get away with that cos the filter sticks out a long way.

[Edited on 8/3/08 by triumphdave]

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

chrsgrain

posted on 9/3/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Dax do a 'Zetec' bonnet, which has a bulge in it already - I've got one to accomodate the standard Vx inlet stuff, it might just cover the bike carbs (I hope so!)

Got any more pictures??

CHris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

triumphdave

posted on 9/3/08 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
Dax do a 'Zetec' bonnet, which has a bulge in it already - I've got one to accomodate the standard Vx inlet stuff, it might just cover the bike carbs (I hope so!)

Got any more pictures??

CHris

Hi Chris,
could I see a photo of the "Zetec bonnet".
cheers
David
P.S theres some more photos of the bonnet in my archive

[Edited on 9/3/08 by triumphdave]

chrsgrain

posted on 9/3/08 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David,

Here it is, only picture I've got which shows it really, if you want any more or dimensions, let me know - would be helpful for me to know if they would fit, as definitely going carbs now - utterly fed up with trying to fix mine!

Description
Description

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

triumphdave

posted on 9/3/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
Hi David,

Here it is, only picture I've got which shows it really, if you want any more or dimensions, let me know - would be helpful for me to know if they would fit, as definitely going carbs now - utterly fed up with trying to fix mine!

Chris

Looking at the photo,I would say you would still have to cut a substantial hole.Some dims would be helpful though,cheers Chris.

02GF74

posted on 10/3/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
what I would do without resorting to scoops is to make an escutcheon.

I think that is what they are called - bacially a surround for the hole in the bonnet riveted on.

The sheet will have the hol cut out to correct size/shape and then you would have an equal amount of metal aroudn the hole so that it covers up the messy hole.

Take a peek at my photos as I have something similar on mine - an uneven hole covered by such a piece - may make more sens whenb you see the photo.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.