Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 2 Camper Resto - Welding Panels
Howlor

posted on 30/1/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Type 2 Camper Resto - Welding Panels

Hi Guys,

Busy with new project, restoring Type 2 Veedubbleu Camper for my brother.

Need to replace the bottom of the rear quarter and also sills etc.

Question is, in the past I have always butt welded panels together say at the bottom of a quarter with mig. Is it better to use a joggler and over lap them or will I run in to trouble?

Any other tips on Type 2 bodywork greatly received! The front bumper panel piece that is part of the body and sits behind the bumper needs replacing but looks a bugger to get off!

Thanks,

Steve

TimC

posted on 30/1/08 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Probably better asked on The Samba.

Howlor

posted on 30/1/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Tim, Ihave looked at a few forums but The Samba seems to be the best.

I will have a search.

Thanks,
Steve

novacaine

posted on 30/1/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
if the sills are anything like they are on the beetle I feel really sorry for you, horrible, time consuming job

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting so much off will cause the shell to twist and then the doors won't fit. Before you cut anything do what I did (picture in my archive) and weld tube braces across the door opening and across the inside.

Do each sill first (before anything else), one at a time, then the rear panels. If you can leave a flange from the old sill and weld the new ones to that, that way you can easily hide the weld.

VW manage to make all the footwell panels on their car and vans terrible to replace and due to them being part of the heating system rotted very quickly. You may have to cut some good metal away to get access.

Go slowly and be precise.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by novacaine
if the sills are anything like they are on the beetle I feel really sorry for you, horrible, time consuming job

have you seen my latest bug in my archives? what a heap, though most is replaced now (60% of the shell, including the floor pans) - pic of it below

[Edited on 30/1/08 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment oh no.jpg
Rescued attachment oh no.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Howlor

posted on 30/1/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Wooah tin worm! Looks from the archive though that you are getting it sorted. My first car was a 1973 1300 bug, dehandled, raked, etc etc

Pointers are greatly received.

Thanks,
Steve

NS Dev

posted on 30/1/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
butt or joggle and plug it, either will work ok.

Just remeber the obvious but often forgotten tip if butting it. Lay the new panel over the old, drill and cleco or rivet them together, then cut through them both down the line you want to butt weld them on with a panel saw, you then have a perfect joint to weld with no gaps.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Howlor

posted on 30/1/08 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that tip.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.