Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rethinking front fenders
Dale

posted on 24/1/08 at 03:39 AM Reply With Quote
Rethinking front fenders

I have been working on my front fender design for a long time and still am not quite happy with the look and aero of it. I am going to try another idea which I had months ago and dont know if it will work out or look good but I think it could be quite good and still have that 1930s look I like. It would have a cycle fender on the wheel as per a normal seven but the cycle fender would be nearly vertical on the back and right behind it almost touching (within movement limits) the rear half of the fender would be attached to the chassis. I have attached a quick drawing show.
I think it could be worth mocking up to see and it would make most of both sides the same requiring less build up of bucks.
Dale Rescued attachment drawings_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment drawings_resize.JPG

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Phil.J

posted on 24/1/08 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Why not do something similar to the Morgan Aeromax and blend the front wings into the running boards and the front valance. Looks good and keeps that retro look.
Howlor

posted on 24/1/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I have always like this style for a classic look and the low headlight if the rules allow.

Steve

1932 Alfa Rescued attachment pre-war_classic.jpg
Rescued attachment pre-war_classic.jpg

Dale

posted on 24/1/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
The alfa is nice-very nice. Its nose is much farther forward of the font wheels and the bonnet much higher making the front of the fenders flow nicely. I have not been able to draw or mock up anything that looked ok with the low bonnet and shorter nose that I have.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Confused but excited.

posted on 24/1/08 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dale
I have attached a quick drawing show.
Dale

I'm impressed already. That quick drawing would have taken me days!
Love the idea for the front wings. Well outside the box.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Dale

posted on 24/1/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I did a bit of a mock up in poster board to scale to find the curves to make a neat join between the fixed rear fender and the cylce fender . It looks like a 1 inch gap would leave lots of room for movement depending on how much a cycle fender will shake. There should be a way of making the bracket to hold the rear portion to the chassis aerodynamic and maybe get a little downforce to counter the lift of the fenders.
Pic would be top view right side fender

Dale Rescued attachment card fender.jpg
Rescued attachment card fender.jpg

Thanks
Dale

ettore bugatti

posted on 28/1/08 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think that if the front and rear fenders would have the same shape (form). The car would look much better.
Dale

posted on 29/1/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
When you say shape, do you mean as one piece or in the trailing edge as the backs come down at a steep angle at the back of the fender( mgb tail lights fit in the back). I tried that idea quickly but I did not think it flowed ok but may give it another shot to see. Always open to suggestions.]
Thanks
Dale

Thanks
Dale

mlgates

posted on 5/2/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
The 1935 Colliers MGPA special...

posted on 5/2/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^^^

Wow! I DO like that

ettore bugatti

posted on 5/2/08 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dale
When you say shape, do you mean as one piece or in the trailing edge as the backs come down at a steep angle at the back of the fender( mgb tail lights fit in the back).

Yes, exactly.
Although I wouldn't put MGB lights on the front fenders

Dale

posted on 6/2/08 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I played with drawing up the the rear styled fender on the front and it looked good at first look but it the longer i looked at it the less I liked it.
I quite like the mg special as it has a resemblence to what I want. I did a quick rework to lower the fender as I had thought.
The locost style chassis is much lower to the ground than the mg with a smaller wheel so the proportions are not way out.
I think I have to mock up a couple of fenders and see what it looks like in full scale.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.