Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paint before or after
Findlay234

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Paint before or after

Mainly to do with the side panels.

How hard will it be to get a garage to paint the side panels while they are on?

Would it be best to get the panels squared and drilled up first then painted separately and then rivit them to the chassis? Im guessing the problem will be placing the heater for baking the paint. To be honest im no expert (wait no im not even an amateur when it comes to car painting)

macdave69

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I had mine powder coated, then drilled and rivetted them in place. I am really happy with, a , the cost, and b, the finish of the powder coating, c, the turnaround, at the most 36 hours , more often 24,
Findlay234

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
would drilling after painting not damage the paint work, bearing in mind im not powder coating im just using ICI Autocolour 2K paint.
worX

posted on 2/10/07 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
you could always drill them first and then have them powder coated, but it's not going to do much drilling through the powdercoat if you're careful.

If you really care you could have a couple of same size drill bits handy and when they start to get really hot, swap for the next one, and the next one etc

Steve

Peteff

posted on 2/10/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Drill and fit them using Clecos and take them back off to take the rough edges off the holes. Get them painted then fit them with rivets.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Any paintshop will do them in position, they will be baked on the car, also they can be sealed prior to painting. It would be much easier without the wishbones fitted though! Rescued attachment InTheBooth.jpg
Rescued attachment InTheBooth.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.