Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cycle wing stays
02GF74

posted on 3/10/06 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
cycle wing stays

may need to make a set of these....

will 10 mm steel tube be sufficiently strong?

On the cortina uprights, I notice there are two holes vertically in line near the caliper, is the lower one also tapped to M8?

There is a third one at the front and my old stays use the front one and the upper of the two.

Marcus

posted on 3/10/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
We used all 3 holes in the upright, and made a triangular mount, welding the tubes to this. Originally we used 10mm round bar for the tubes, this proved very weak and the arches flapped like a good 'un, eventually breaking at the welds. Mkll was 3/4" round tube - these are far better and have lasted 3 years so far.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 3/10/06 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Originally we used 10mm round bar for the tubes,

cheers - so as I thought, the third hole can be used.

the requirement for these is to make a journey of 70 miles

rusty nuts

posted on 3/10/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
The mounting plates on mine were 3mm but have broken twice. Have repaired and reinforced by doubling the thickness to 6mm . Will be making new ones fron at least 6mm plate and heavy gauge metal for the rest , will double up on the part that bends around the wheel as one broke after 500 miles
Mark Allanson

posted on 3/10/06 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are made of 10mm 18g erw round, its the transverse part of the stays which causes the cracking, so just do away with them Rescued attachment ModCycleWings.jpg
Rescued attachment ModCycleWings.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/10/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
..the only modification is a bit of 20g webbing as shown in red. I have had these on the road for 18 months and 6500 miles Rescued attachment ModCycleWings2.jpg
Rescued attachment ModCycleWings2.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.