Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mudflaps made of tyres
Humbug

posted on 16/9/06 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Mudflaps made of tyres

Following my successful (so I thought) creation of mudflaps from pieces of tyre - see here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=50106&page=1 - I found that the flaps have gradually curled away from the cycle wing to the point where it was looking stupid, only a month after fitting.

I think it was because the tyres I used were quite a bit wider than the cycle wings, so I had to cut off all of the shoulder. I am guessing that the flat bit curled out because of the steel wire in the tyre as the shoulders were not there to keep them in check.

Anyway, I have just made some new ones out of narrower tyre, so I can keep the shoulders which will hopefully hold them in shape better.

In the pic you can see the previous mudflap - it seems to be curling a bit even though I took this just after fitting it - and the new one, which follows the line of the road tyre better. I'll let you know what happens. Rescued attachment 2006-09-16 old and new mudflaps.JPG
Rescued attachment 2006-09-16 old and new mudflaps.JPG

graememk

posted on 16/9/06 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
lol tight ar5e.

i have been wondering about being hit by stones and road kill though, dosnt anyone make longer cycle wings ?

Humbug

posted on 16/9/06 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
That's what you said last time round!

I think MNR have longer cycle wings, but they come over the front more.

The mudflaps do make quite a bit of difference by reducing the amout of water and road cr*p being flung up and back. Having said that, even with them there is a certain amount of crud on front of the rear wings

JamJah

posted on 16/9/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not strenghten them using a coat hanger or something?
Give the mudflaps something to hold on to, after all wouldnt your toes curl that closeto the ground/apex?

02GF74

posted on 19/9/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
bonkers

would not a sheet of ali be easier/nicer/cheaper/lighter/blinger???

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.