Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New improved boot lid
Humbug

posted on 4/9/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
New improved boot lid

To go on top of the new boot box (see other thread) I made a new cover. The old one was a bit unsatisfactory. The new one was made from 6mm plywood sealed with diluted PVA glue, vinyl from Woolies stuck on with Evo Stik solvent-free impact adhesive (I can recommend it if you've got a biggish area to stick, as you avoid a hangover ), hinges off the old boot lid.

I deliberately made the opening lid part wider than the boot box itself, so give added water resistance. The top piece of vinyl goes right over the hinged edge as well, so hopefully no water can get in!

I decided to make a feature of the filler by cutting a hole in the lid, rather than having an odd shaped lid to go round the filler.

The pieces were designed to minimise the number of gaps. The piece towhich the lid is hinged is fixed by self-tappers hidden under the harness triangles plus one dome head screw in the middle. I just put single-sided foam tape underneath the edge to make it esier to remove if I need to get the boot box out for any reason.

The side pieces are stuck on with double-sided foam tape, and the small infill pieces are stuck on strips of ali with double sided tape.

The lock is the old one, with ali plate reinforcement underneath, and a piece of thick angled ali for the lock to grip on.

The only problem seems to be that the wood is a bit warped, so I had to use a bit of velcro for the corner of the lid near the filler.

Overall I am pleased with the result - it looks a lot neater than the old one.

[Edited on 5/9/06 by Humbug] Rescued attachment 2006-09-04 1 ST boot cover.JPG
Rescued attachment 2006-09-04 1 ST boot cover.JPG

peterriley2

posted on 4/9/06 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
certainly does look good- i love informative threads and i hope we have more!!!!

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

02GF74

posted on 5/9/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
.... mebbe I should post a piccy of my boot floor and top .... toook absolute ages to make from ali....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.