Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Designing full body for 7 type
donut

posted on 13/1/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Designing full body for 7 type

I quite fancy having a go at designing my own body tub for my Indy and was wondering what would be the best software to acheive this. Having the dimentions of the chassis would help obviously.

Has anyone had a go? How hard is it? Do you design one side then let the computer replicate it on the other?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wyatt

posted on 13/1/06 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
you could try AutoCAD they also do AutoCAD Light not quite as in-depth as the full version but might do the trick

www.bynxy.co.uk

Gav

posted on 13/1/06 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=36853

Syd Bridge

posted on 13/1/06 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Try Rhinoceros3d. Plenty of 'demo' copies flying about, particularly on the torrents, or so my lads tell me. There's also some good tutorials for Rhino on i'net, showing car body design.

This is the program that a lot of the car design studios use these days for BodyInWhite, before porting to Catia for manufacture.

Full price, Rhino runs about £700; Catia >£12k

I use Solidworks and Rhino, and Maxsurf.

Syd.

Alan B

posted on 13/1/06 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wyatt
you could try AutoCAD they also do AutoCAD Light not quite as in-depth as the full version but might do the trick

Actually AutoCAD or LT (not light actually, it really stands for "laptop" are both relatively useless for a car body design, as they are very much 2D programs..yes regular AutoCAD does have some 3D capacity, but compared to real solid modelling programs is absolutely crap.

BTW, I do have AutoCAD....and love it......for 2D stuff....layouts, wiring and piping diagrams etc.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
C10CoryM

posted on 13/1/06 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ill vouch for Rhino3D as well. Its probably the best for doing organics (round shapes).
When I get home from work Ill find a link to a great forum for you.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

scotty g

posted on 13/1/06 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I plan to do something along the same lines myself but i will do it the old fashoned way with wacking great lumps of foam and sculpt it by eye.
andyps

posted on 13/1/06 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Here is one someone made earlier... Rescued attachment Caterham 21.jpg
Rescued attachment Caterham 21.jpg

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

scotty g

posted on 13/1/06 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
MMMMMMMMMM, Caterham21, very nice.
Wonder what the screen is off? Anyone know?

Hammerhead

posted on 13/1/06 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. I picked up my MK chassis today, I got the deluxe kit minus bodywork. And I am also going to produce my own bodywork. I showed the sketch to the guys at MK and they seemed to quite like it.

I have a degree in product design, but I have decided to to bother with the 3D software route. I have found that it can be quicker to print off some pictures of other MKs and then hand draw your own design over the top.
I also suggest drawing a full size side view of the concept, then mocking up the bodywork with cardboard to see the proportions, it helps if you have the chassis for this.

After that its time to get the foam/wood out and start sculpting the bodywork for the plugs. Then get dirty with the fibreglass (or Carbon).

I would be interested to see other peoples progress, so please keep us posted.

Cheers.

donut

posted on 13/1/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerhead, have you got any scetches you could post or put in your archive?

[Edited on 13/1/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Hammerhead

posted on 13/1/06 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I will at some stage, i'll show you mine if you show me yours!
ady8077

posted on 13/1/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy

Do you like the phoenix? you maybe able to get a seconhand body and mod it to fit?

Adrian

donut

posted on 13/1/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i do like the phoenix and the stylus but the stylus has an internal shell that the outer shell sits on, not sure it would fit without alot of fettling. Does the phoenix body come in a single shell? Also the wheel distance front to back would have to be right.

Worth looking into!

Andy

ady8077

posted on 13/1/06 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Yep the Stylus has a one piece body, the Phoenix has a flip front bonnet a rear section and two sills. The Stylus body has an inner skin you rivet on to the chassis first and then bond the body onto, i assume the Phoenix is the same

With a Phoenix body you should be able to position the rear and front sections to suit your wheelbase and just mod the sills bigger or smaller

You may be able to get a damaged body cheap off a racer?

Adrian Rescued attachment phoenix side.tif
Rescued attachment phoenix side.tif

donut

posted on 13/1/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
It's gotta be close i would say and by the looks of it not too much work. My dad is a bit of a dab hand with fiber glass so if i do do something like that i'll have to rope him in!

BTW, do you know if the phoenix chassis is the same as the 7 they do?

[Edited on 13/1/06 by donut]

Andy

ady8077

posted on 13/1/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt it, the Phoenix body was originaly called the mk4 and was designed to fit the Striker, mk2 i think, All done by Jeremy Philips of Sylva Autokits

There is another maker of origanal Mk4

http://www.cyanacars.com

Adrian

donut

posted on 13/1/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Putting on a full body would save sva and a new build (when the time comes) but it's just getting the info required to make the best judgment for a swap.

Andy

scotty g

posted on 15/1/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking at a picture of the CHEETAH ealier, its in the latest Kitcar mag and looks like a contender for a full bodied locost me thinks.
stevebubs

posted on 15/1/06 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
Putting on a full body would save sva and a new build (when the time comes) but it's just getting the info required to make the best judgment for a swap.

Surely the WLR body would be easier to fit....

donut

posted on 15/1/06 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the WLR body is a contender, especially in black!! I have been told they do a kind of kit to fit it to the MK Chassis, trouble is the price..well over £3k

Nice though!!

[img][/img]

Andy

iank

posted on 15/1/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
Yes the WLR body is a contender, especially in black!!

Cough Batmobile cough

stevebubs

posted on 15/1/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looks nothing like it

donut

posted on 15/1/06 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote

Andy

cornishrob

posted on 15/1/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
i personally think the WLR would get more traction than batman with those slicks on the front. but batman wont get wet!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.