Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycle wing linings
Humbug

posted on 29/6/05 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cycle wing linings

In the "low cost" spirit I was quite pleased with the linings for my cycle wings. I have looked at the brush-on anti-chip coatings but I didn't want to buy something and use just a tiny bit out of the tin.

So, at zero marginal cost I cut some linings out of leftover pieces of Metro boot mat (closed cell plasticky foam stuff about 5mm thick) - got for free and partly used to line my own boot box - plus a grid of PU adhesive that I had already got and used for other things.

They don't go quite to the edge, only lining the central flat part of the wings, but I think they should stop most potential crazing from stones. I've just put them on so I'll go back tomorrow and see if they are still on! Rescued attachment 2005-06-29 1 Locost cycle wing liner.jpg
Rescued attachment 2005-06-29 1 Locost cycle wing liner.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 30/6/05 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I didnt realise the cycle wings needed to be lined. Is this std practice? What happens if you dont line them? What do other people use.

Markp

posted on 30/6/05 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
they don't have to be lined.

It helps in case a stone or something hits them from the underside while driving, a little added protection.

cheers Mark

Humbug

posted on 30/6/05 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markp
they don't have to be lined.

It helps in case a stone or something hits them from the underside while driving, a little added protection.

cheers Mark

Ditto - I know lots of people put Wunderseal or something else painted on the underside of the wings to try to reduce the likelihood of stones being flicked up and possibly causing crazing through the gel coat. Anyway, I had this stuff lying around so I thought I would give it a go.

Markp

posted on 30/6/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
YEAH!!!

At last I have made a comment someone agreed with

Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.