Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can I buy some fibreglass sheet?
RazMan

posted on 27/6/05 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Can I buy some fibreglass sheet?

Don't want to re-invent the wheel but I want to make up some air scoops which are a rather weird shape (no aftermarket ones are even close)

Can I buy thin fibreglass sheet which I can use as an outer skin? Where do I start looking?

........ or is there a 'weird air scoop' shop somewhere out there?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 27/6/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
depends what you want , i can make you some .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

RazMan

posted on 27/6/05 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
oooohhh! Trouble is ..... I don't really know what I want yet

I need a functional vent shaped like a small NACA which will blend into the buttress (like XJS) and have a port feeding down to the engine bay. Nothing too 'in your face' but quite elegant.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 27/6/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
A bit like this (if you can make out the detail)

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/03/fetish05_03.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 27/6/05 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
A slightly better view - I suppose it might be called a snorkel Rescued attachment 112_05_fetishgallery05_z.jpg
Rescued attachment 112_05_fetishgallery05_z.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

Volvorsport

posted on 27/6/05 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
i see what youre trying to do .

maybe you should trace the shape out on the bodywork , then cut it with a fine hacksaw , bend it back and inch or so , jold it in positon and bond up around it .

hey presto vents !!

i can send you a couple of squares of floppy glass if need be - or just use one of those repair kits in halfords and lay some up on a piece of glass or ally , and roll it out - youll have your own flat sheet then .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

RazMan

posted on 28/6/05 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Looking on Ebay I have found quite a few weird shapes - mostly bonnet vents. It would be worth a fiver or two just to see if they will be close to what I need (it also saves the job of making a nice looking intake mouth)
Thanks for the tip about making some thin sheet on glass - that will give me a smooth skin to finish off with.

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.