Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: front arch positioning
tom_loughlin

posted on 14/6/05 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
front arch positioning

After making the effort to align the front of my arch with the front of the rim for SVA, i was less than impressed to find that the rear is quite a way off the horizontal centreline of the wheel.
my question is:
can i put some kind of rubber mud guard at the rear of the wheel, so the arch(complete with guard) will pass the horizontal centreline? and would it be SVA compliant?

Any other solutions would also be mch appreciated

the pic below shows what i mean (but the mud guard thing wouldnt be in yellow )

Thanks for your help,

Tom

[Edited on 14/6/05 by tom_loughlin] Rescued attachment car.JPG
Rescued attachment car.JPG

David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is just like yours, and it passed SVA (look at my website).

He checked the coverage with a big square (like a builder's framing square) with one edge on the floor, as follows:

1. Put the square against the front of the mudguard, and made sure that it was further forward than the front of the wheel rim;

2. Put the square against the back of the mudguard, and made sure that the tyre was clear (in other words, look down at the back of the guard, and you shouldn't see any tyre).

3. Put the square against the side of the tyre, and measured from the square to the tyre rim with a rule. He then measured from the square to the side of the mudguard - the mudguard had to be further out than the wheel rim.

This is the way the man in Chelmsford did it - I can't guarantee that another tester will do it the same way.

cheers,

David

mookaloid

posted on 14/6/05 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I would say that you can afford to move it back a bit.

The front of the guard only has to touch the vertical line at the front of the wheel rim itself.

Cheers

Mark

tom_loughlin

posted on 14/6/05 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for your replies gents.
i will hav a look at my 15's, although i reckon the leading edge the cycle wing will overlap waaaaay too much then, and mr sva man will want me to move the whole wing back (which will be a prob as i have glued it on - and its pretty rigid to say the least!)

thanks again,
Tom

Triton

posted on 15/6/05 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Tom,
Looks like they can come back a bit...front edge inline with rim ...or at least that's how i understand the daft regs.
Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.