Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to attach the side panels?
MikeP

posted on 7/6/04 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Where to attach the side panels?

Underneath of F1/F2, or all the way under onto G1/G2? Or both?

Most I've looked at seem to go all the way to G1/G2, but I can't think of a good reason why I'd want to - what am I missing?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 7/6/04 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Did mine to the F tubes, any further in and I thought they would for a gunk tank, restrict cooling and cost more in ally Rescued attachment Underside Front.jpg
Rescued attachment Underside Front.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

white130d

posted on 7/6/04 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Stunning Picture

Mark, that is a stunning picture, usually only a view seen by the rabbits and squirrels that you run over.

David

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

colibriman

posted on 7/6/04 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
its makin me dizzy.....
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeP

posted on 8/6/04 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hehehe, that is quite a angle for that picture...

Exactly Mark, that's what I'm thinking too. Lots of reasons to end at the F's, I can't think of any good reason to go all the way to the G's. Protect the engine from stuff on the road? Smooth the airstream over the bottom? I think I'd rather have better access to the downpipe nuts.

Peteff

posted on 8/6/04 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Smooth the airstream over the bottom?

You're not putting a floor in then? . That should keep your cockpit cool and fresh, bit damp if it rains though. My sides are riveted to the sides, I didn't bother hiding the rivets, everybody knows you've used them. I don't have any turned under and I finished them at the fu tubes for simplicity. It lets a lot of hot air out behind the radiator and saves a lot of cutting and shaping round the steering rack and wishbone ends.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeP

posted on 8/6/04 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
LOL, not really Pete, the rain will fall right through! Nope, not bothering with a floor on mine, adds too much weight .

Did you attach yours at the sides on the lower chassis members (F1/F2) rather than the bottom? I couldn't see from your photo gallery.

Peteff

posted on 8/6/04 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I riveted them to the sides and to the fu tubes with a cutout for the wishbone bracket. Rescued attachment alufu1.jpg
Rescued attachment alufu1.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Peteff

posted on 8/6/04 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the other side for luck.

Rescued attachment aulfu2.jpg
Rescued attachment aulfu2.jpg

yours, Pete

MikeP

posted on 8/6/04 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Looks very nice Pete! Thanks for the pictures. I really like the colour, it works well.

What are the 3 holes on the RHS side of your bonnet?

Peteff

posted on 8/6/04 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I put them in to let some hot air out. After I covered the pedals in it was all going down the centre tunnel so I thought they might help it escape. They have stainless gauze araldited in them and they do seem to work, my feet don't get so hot now..

yours, Pete

MikeP

posted on 9/6/04 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, very smart, they look good too.

My wife said I should open a window to let out the hot air during our last drive in the family sedan - I don't think she meant the same thing though...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.