Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I've been Robin Hooded!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark Allanson

posted on 25/4/04 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've been Robin Hooded!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought my rear arches at Exeter show in 2002, just got to fit them today (funny how you buy things cos you will need them soon!).

The damn things are different. About 1/2" at the ends, I had to do all kinds of gymnastics to get them to fit - hats off to these Hoddies who actually get their cars on the road. Everything I have bought from RH has been rubbish and needed major fettling to make suitable. Rescued attachment RH Arches.jpg
Rescued attachment RH Arches.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

MikeR

posted on 25/4/04 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, well i've had no problems with them so far ..... then again I've bought ball joints and trim. Oh, I've also got my lights from them (which i've still not fitted)
derf

posted on 25/4/04 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
They probably were in a hurry to produce mass quantities so instead of leaving them in the mold to dry they probably layed the glass, and when it was hard to the touch removed them.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/4/04 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
you wont see that unless you stand on both sides of the car at the same time.
I was given a nose cone that had two different sides and a lump in the middle!!

As long as they are close the problem wont be that bad to solve. Dont be tempted to stretch them as they will craze at that point.

rusty nuts

posted on 25/4/04 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ibrought locknuts for my transit top ball joints from them , one fit ok the other was completly the wrong thread, my fault Isuppose for not checking. Rusty
undecided

posted on 25/4/04 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an SVA compatible silencer for a crossflow 2 yrs ago.....won't bother with anything from there again,cheap nasty rubbish!
Hugh Paterson

posted on 26/4/04 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Mark, how much did those rear arches cost u when u purchased them? Market research is helpful in this big bad world
Shug

scoobyis2cool

posted on 26/4/04 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
If it makes you feel any better the TVR T350 bodywork is apparently up to an inch different on either side of the car in loads of places, because the body moulds were hand-made by eye rather than being measured. I don't think anyone will notice it once the panels are on, especially if you're doing 90 past them

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 26/4/04 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well Scooby, it sure makes me a lot happier to hear that..
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 26/4/04 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Dont look that bad Mark ,just think it could have been worse.................you could have bought a kit off of em
They look well below Robin Hood tolerances ,ie a foot either way
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 26/4/04 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/4/04 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Shug,

I bought 4 arches, two front upper balljoint sleeves, 2 rear stainless stone guards for £100, the guy in the caravan thing they sell from put the money straight in his pocket!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/4/04 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
They don't look too bad fitted, a bit thin (you can shine a torch through them), but when they have brushable PU on the inside and Citroen Saxo yellowy orange on the outside, only I will know! Rescued attachment Rear arches.jpg
Rescued attachment Rear arches.jpg

Peteff

posted on 26/4/04 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
It's like trying to fit a Pop On wing to a Veng front panel, get some grips to pull it in and some wide tadpole beading to hide the gaps and you'll hever know the difference Mark.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dave Gilling

posted on 29/4/04 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Having had the privalige of building a 2B, I can confirm that nothing fits first time or the second or the third, and most things need a complete redesign, took me 18 months working 20-25 hours a week to finish. The quality of MK gear is light years better than RHE, but at £1350 for a 2B kit???? and the instruction videos are the funniest thing I've watched for a long time
Rob Allison

posted on 29/4/04 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
i'll agree with you Dave. I'm still doing my 2b 2years and nearly ready to give up.
barrie sharp

posted on 29/4/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi MARK have you tryed to fit your stone guards yet!! I brought a pair and by the time i finished cutting and shaping them i could have made them easier !!
tfyt barrie

ps your cars looking good

[Edited on 29/4/04 by barrie sharp]

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/4/04 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
No, I have that delight to come!

Dave Gilling

posted on 30/4/04 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i'll agree with you Dave. I'm still doing my 2b 2years and nearly ready to give up.

No no! dont give up. The 2B may be the dogs poo of kits, but, if you can build a 2B you can build anything.
Where you at? Got loads of build pics. e me and I will give all the help I can

Markp

posted on 30/4/04 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
barrie sharp

I have done the stone guards and yes before you ask, I too had to cut, shape, cut a bit more, clean up etc

But still not too bad for only a tenner.

Mark.

DavidM

posted on 4/5/04 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have no particular opinions either way regarding RH, horses for courses and all that.

I have to say though that I have seen wings that are much worse, supplied by companies that would certainly be considered as reputable in this forum.

My wings are identical when placed back to back. Which is nice.

However if positioned identically on either side of the car one wheel is perfectly central and the other is not. I have noticed this affects many cars.

In my case I have actually fitted the wings differently on either side of the car in order that they frame the wheels correctly.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.