Board logo

removable windscreen
aka Keith - 27/6/08 at 01:55 PM

following on from this earlier thread

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=64988

Has anyone ever made up a removable windscreen. - I currently have a aeroscreen, but it might be quite nice to put a full screen on somedays so that the lid can stay off and I can enjoy the sun. Would only be used on few occasions in the dry.

Mr Whippy - 27/6/08 at 02:01 PM

how about a fold down one like on a jeep or landys. I used a narrowed defender one on the buggy and it's great. It's not clamped as when up the wind pressure holds it back and when down it has a downward slope so again the wind restrains it. I think it's particularly good as a safety thing as in a crash it will simply flip down preventing my head hitting it (yes I do have seat belts)

[Edited on 27/6/08 by Mr Whippy]

Dale - 27/6/08 at 02:11 PM

I have been working on several windshield/screen ideas since I dont think my scuttle is long enough to let me do a deep angled split windshield. One way is to do a fold flat screen ( or removable to put in the trunk- yes I should have room) with home made brooklands behind it. Or do like the 55 austin healy that can go forward on the front to work as a aeroscreen and fold up to a regular screen. Examples in pics
Dale Rescued attachment DSCF0036_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0036_resize.JPG

Dale - 27/6/08 at 02:12 PM

austin

[Edited on 27/6/08 by Dale] Rescued attachment DSCF0047_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0047_resize.JPG

Dale - 27/6/08 at 02:12 PM

austin Rescued attachment DSCF0048_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0048_resize.JPG

aka Keith - 27/6/08 at 02:50 PM

Dale, I like your thinking and the 55 looks lovely, but I was thing of something more along the lines of a screen that I could put on or take off easily, that could live in the garage for most of the time (as I prefer the aeroscreen and tin lid) most of the time.

locoR1 - 27/6/08 at 02:57 PM

Depends what you mean by removable I've got the option of both made the aero screen over winter but cant say I like it much after 6 or so years with a screen. currently got the screen back on!

Will probably only use the aero screen for track days!

roadrunner - 27/6/08 at 07:06 PM

I was thinking of selling my screen as i dont use it anymore, it was kept simple to fix so i could change between screen and deflector.
3/4
3/4

As you can see it was just a case of undoing three allen bolts either side.
front pass side
front pass side

[Edited on 27/6/08 by roadrunner]

[Edited on 27/6/08 by roadrunner]

mistergrumpy - 28/6/08 at 09:13 AM

Speak with Benzine. I think he was making a removable winscreen.
See this thread.