Board logo

Paint before or after
Findlay234 - 2/10/07 at 10:29 AM

Mainly to do with the side panels.

How hard will it be to get a garage to paint the side panels while they are on?

Would it be best to get the panels squared and drilled up first then painted separately and then rivit them to the chassis? Im guessing the problem will be placing the heater for baking the paint. To be honest im no expert (wait no im not even an amateur when it comes to car painting)

macdave69 - 2/10/07 at 10:34 AM

I had mine powder coated, then drilled and rivetted them in place. I am really happy with, a , the cost, and b, the finish of the powder coating, c, the turnaround, at the most 36 hours , more often 24,

Findlay234 - 2/10/07 at 01:03 PM

would drilling after painting not damage the paint work, bearing in mind im not powder coating im just using ICI Autocolour 2K paint.

worX - 2/10/07 at 01:08 PM

you could always drill them first and then have them powder coated, but it's not going to do much drilling through the powdercoat if you're careful.

If you really care you could have a couple of same size drill bits handy and when they start to get really hot, swap for the next one, and the next one etc

Steve

Peteff - 2/10/07 at 02:46 PM

Drill and fit them using Clecos and take them back off to take the rough edges off the holes. Get them painted then fit them with rivets.

Mark Allanson - 3/10/07 at 07:53 PM

Any paintshop will do them in position, they will be baked on the car, also they can be sealed prior to painting. It would be much easier without the wishbones fitted though! Rescued attachment InTheBooth.jpg
Rescued attachment InTheBooth.jpg