Board logo

Aerocatches
stevebubs - 20/4/07 at 07:05 PM

Trying to make up my mind whether I want flush or plush fit.

A few people have posted pics previously but are there any more? Looking for pictures of both types when fitted?

Leaning towards the plush fit at the moment as I think getting a decent fix for the flush ones may be tricky....

Johnmor - 20/4/07 at 07:27 PM

I fitted mine "flush fit". quite a fiddle but i made a jig and used a router so that makes it easier.

Great operation and very secure.

stevebubs - 20/4/07 at 08:08 PM

That looks a really nice fit. However the attraction to the flush ones for me would be the lack of visible fastening which means they probably need to be glassed in..

Looking around through the archives, it looks like Razman has done what I would be looking for from a flush set on his Aeon.

Razman - any chances of some close-ups?

[Edited on 20/4/07 by stevebubs]

RazMan - 20/4/07 at 10:50 PM

Most certainly old chap

Thesae could have been done a bit better but I bonded them in with pu adhesive and then bonded a 'washer' over the top. The result is invisible from the outside. Rescued attachment Aerocatch.jpg
Rescued attachment Aerocatch.jpg

stevebubs - 20/4/07 at 11:33 PM

Looks nice - presumably you have to totally disassemble to paint?

RazMan - 21/4/07 at 07:36 AM

Nope, it was painted in situ - the catch itself is a bit of a dust trap so a blast with compressed air will clean it out before painting. Just spray it in the closed position to prevent excess paint gumming up the mechanism. The inside gets a bit of overspray but this can be cleaned off with some thinner.

The only downside is that if you happen to break one you have to cut it out of the body with a Dremel and then install a new one (I left one open while pushing the car through a narrow garage door and snapped of the tab)

[Edited on 21-4-07 by RazMan]

chriscook - 22/4/07 at 10:57 PM

Had the bonnet open taking some photos of my TBs so took this one for you. I found that steel csk screws rusted after less than a year so I now have ali ones - apart from the one I did up too tight! Rescued attachment img_1921s.jpg
Rescued attachment img_1921s.jpg

MikeRJ - 22/4/07 at 11:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
Had the bonnet open taking some photos of my TBs so took this one for you. I found that steel csk screws rusted after less than a year so I now have ali ones - apart from the one I did up too tight!

Why not stainless? Stronger than alloy fasteners, easily available and no rust problems.

stevebubs - 22/4/07 at 11:34 PM

Guessing he wanted them anodised black?