Board logo

Rear light mounting tip (doh!)
ned - 17/4/06 at 05:39 PM

When you go to mount your rear lights:

After you've consulted the web and draft sva manuals and discovered/checked they should be 350mm+ from the ground and within 400mm of the extents of the cars width

And you've carefully masking taped the rear wings and measured from the floor, marked the desired locations

And you've drilled the holes, removed the tape and placed the lights into the nicely drilled holes

Always remember that you should have measured the ride height of the chassis and checked that the tyres have the correct pressure in them!!

Otherwise you think what a nice job, put a steel rule between the lights and the undersides of the wings on either side and then wonder why the measurements are nearly 10mm different

do you think anyone will notice?!!

finished rear end (well nearly
finished rear end (well nearly

i will move them of course, now its just deciding do i move one side up or the other side down!

happy days...

Ned.

Humbug - 17/4/06 at 05:41 PM

I sympathise, Ned - it's a bastard, isn't it?

Still - looks like you're making some progress

Cheers

emsfactory - 17/4/06 at 05:47 PM

i've learned life is one crushing defeat after another untill you just wish flanders was dead.

Peteff - 17/4/06 at 05:56 PM

Put a bigger wheel on one side or always park on a slope . It's to allow for the camber on the road, honest. If you'd kept it quiet nobody would have been any the wiser.

rusty nuts - 17/4/06 at 06:07 PM

A blind man would be pleased to see it .Is it obvious ?

Aboardman - 17/4/06 at 06:07 PM

and worth a check when somebody is sat in the car as well.

big_wasa - 17/4/06 at 06:08 PM

No but you will always know its wrong if you dont adjust it.

chockymonster - 17/4/06 at 06:11 PM

Fraid to say I spotted it before reading your message.

Hellfire - 17/4/06 at 06:16 PM

Me too. I also noticed that the paint on your rear panel is peeling badly. Surprised nobody else spotted it......

bob - 17/4/06 at 06:23 PM

A full tank of fuel will make them both lower so i would raise one or maybe even both

scoop - 19/4/06 at 09:31 AM

Bummer mate. Nice lights though, who's are they?

ned - 19/4/06 at 09:39 AM

lights are the LED jobbies from svc.

Ned.

scoop - 19/4/06 at 10:13 AM

Society of Vacum Coaters!!
I need a link, can you help?
Steve

omega 24 v6 - 19/4/06 at 10:27 AM

Raise the lower one and then reglass the inside of th arch. If it's around an inch the holes should still be covered. Oh and next time measure twice and drill once then like me all your work will be perfect

stevebubs - 19/4/06 at 11:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scoop
Society of Vacum Coaters!!
I need a link, can you help?
Steve

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/

scoop - 19/4/06 at 02:10 PM

Thanks for the link.
Steve

Bob C - 19/4/06 at 07:51 PM

Neddie . . . or anyone,
I bought some back lights and am looking for inspiration re: "locost" plinth type things. Did yours come with the lighte? Anyone seen suitable plantpots or drinks bottles that could be pressed into service? I've seen crazy prices - like £50 (!!!!) for a farty wee bit of black plastic to mount the lights on - there must be something more suitable!
cheers
Bob

ned - 19/4/06 at 09:19 PM

Bob,

I bought the flat type plinths with the lights, the twin housing is nice but silly money and i don' t like the look of the slanted ones. iirc they were £10 for the set (4) which is nothing when you consider your time cutting about potential plant pots.

imho of course

Ned.

Bob C - 20/4/06 at 12:22 PM

yer right, a tenner's not so bad; better start compiling another order for svc....
cheers
Bob

Bob C - 20/4/06 at 12:22 PM

yer right, a tenner's not so bad; better start compiling another order for svc....
cheers
Bob

Stu16v - 20/4/06 at 10:28 PM

Ned, if it makes you feel any better, rear lights on Westfields are different heights on either side too...

wilkingj - 21/4/06 at 06:01 AM

Err Ned... You arent the only one with this problem. (and I mean the rearlights)