Board logo

Front wheel arches
jos - 11/8/05 at 02:13 PM

What should i consider when deciding on a height from the tyre surface to the wheel arch and where to position the arch.

I know that i need to be able to get the wheel off from under the arch so they cant skinn the tyre.

I also know that stones scraping against arch brackets and GRP deosnt sound very nice.

I also (again) know that i would like to minimise the possibility of stones being kicked up.

Apart from these three is there anything else??

SVA requirements (except for blunt edges)

David Jenkins - 11/8/05 at 02:21 PM

My interpretation:-

Draw a line vertically from the front edge of the wheel rim - the front of the arch should be ahead of this line.

Look straight down at the rear of the arch - you shouldn't see any tyre.

Look straight down at the sides of the arch - you shouldn't see any tread (but you may see tyre wall).

An addition to the last one - my SVA inspector checked that the edge of the arch was further out than the rim of the wheel itself... the effect is pretty much the same.

Disclaimer: these are purely my interpretation, based on my efforts in getting through the SVA! Your tester may vary...

rgds,
David

jos - 11/8/05 at 03:11 PM

So the actual wheels also have a bearing on the position of the wheel arches also

geoff shep - 12/8/05 at 08:59 AM

I think you will be stuck with one correct distance from tyre to cycle wing - that is where the centre of the curvature of the wing is at the centre of the wheel - if you see what I mean. I think concentric is the word I am after! (As well as the SVA bits above)

PS mine ended up like the top one

[Edited on 12/8/05 by geoff shep] Rescued attachment wing.jpg
Rescued attachment wing.jpg