Board logo

Rivet length?
David Jenkins - 31/7/05 at 10:40 AM

I've been trying to find out the correct length of blind rivet for a given thickness of metal - can't find anything anywhere!

Anyone here got a guide, or a link to a data sheet?

I want to put 3.2mm rivets into a joint made from 2 thicknesses of 1.6mm. I don't want too much excess material as I intend to knock out the mandrel and flatten the blind side with a hammer (yes - I know - not exactly blind rivetting!).

I suppose I could always buy a bag of real rivets, if I'm going to bash the other side anyway...

David

antonyg - 31/7/05 at 11:22 AM

this might help although measurements are in inches not mm

http://www.chicagorivet.com/riv-sel.htm

the JoKeR - 31/7/05 at 01:14 PM

This site also has a number of size charts, to go along with the different rivet styles.

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/index.html

David Jenkins - 31/7/05 at 03:53 PM

Hmm... couldn't find anything on those sites for blind (pop) rivets. But may just be me being short-sighted.

David

scutter - 31/7/05 at 05:05 PM

David try this LINK Page, Table two.

Hopefully helpful.

Dan.

907 - 31/7/05 at 05:06 PM

Hi David,

Gonna make a wild guess that this is something to do with a boot.

Just had a little play with Screwfix's finest 3 x 8mm ali rivets into 1.5 to 1.5 ali.

Bashed every other one so you could see how much I squashed them.
The ridge that's left is .7mm

This any help?

ATB Paul G Rescued attachment rivets-s.jpg
Rescued attachment rivets-s.jpg

David Jenkins - 31/7/05 at 06:21 PM

Paul, Good guess!

That's exactly what I want to do - the inside of the boot will be covered in thin car carpet, so the rivet heads won't matter much. Although the back won't be visible I think blind rivets look fairly crappy on that side, so I was going to neaten them as in your photo.

Thanks for that (and the phone call)

David

Mix - 1/8/05 at 06:34 AM

I think you would find it just as easy to use countersunk solid rivets and the finish would be far superior / flatter.
If it's just a few rivets you need I can probably help you out.

Mick

David Jenkins - 1/8/05 at 07:13 AM

Wouldn't 1.5/1.6mm sheet be too thin for countersink rivet heads?

I had considered flat-head solid rivets as an alternative.

David

Mix - 1/8/05 at 08:35 AM

You could use 1/8" or 3/32" countersunk solids quite easily in that thickness of material, we do it all the time in aircraft structures.

Mick

David Jenkins - 1/8/05 at 11:29 AM

So if I used 100-degree countersink rivets, what length should I use for a total thickness of 3.0 - 3.2mm?

David

BTW... Mick, I'll be looking for at least 100 - hardly 'just a few'!

Mix - 1/8/05 at 12:44 PM

I think you would struggle with 100 degree rivets, 120 degree would be more suitable.

As you seem to be joining quite a long length have you considered structural adhesive reinforced with fewer rivets ? There will be less chance of deforming the joint that way.

Mick

David Jenkins - 1/8/05 at 12:54 PM

Mick,

I'm using folded sheet to make the box sides, with a bottom made from sheet with flanges bent up. The longest side is about 33", with the others around 6" - 10".

Structural adhesive sounds tempting, and I was going to use some sikaflex anyway (as sealant) so that plus fewer rivets may well be the best way to go.

Can you suggest any places where I can buy a 100 bag of 1/8", 120-degree ali rivets at a good price?

cheers,
David

wicket - 1/8/05 at 01:16 PM

David
You can download the POP information from here

http://www.emhart.com/products/pop.html

It has all the dimensional details