Board logo

Can I buy some fibreglass sheet?
RazMan - 27/6/05 at 08:50 PM

Don't want to re-invent the wheel but I want to make up some air scoops which are a rather weird shape (no aftermarket ones are even close)

Can I buy thin fibreglass sheet which I can use as an outer skin? Where do I start looking?

........ or is there a 'weird air scoop' shop somewhere out there?

Volvorsport - 27/6/05 at 09:02 PM

depends what you want , i can make you some .

RazMan - 27/6/05 at 09:19 PM

oooohhh! Trouble is ..... I don't really know what I want yet

I need a functional vent shaped like a small NACA which will blend into the buttress (like XJS) and have a port feeding down to the engine bay. Nothing too 'in your face' but quite elegant.

Does that make sense?

RazMan - 27/6/05 at 09:34 PM

A bit like this (if you can make out the detail)

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/03/fetish05_03.jpg

RazMan - 27/6/05 at 09:49 PM

A slightly better view - I suppose it might be called a snorkel Rescued attachment 112_05_fetishgallery05_z.jpg
Rescued attachment 112_05_fetishgallery05_z.jpg

Volvorsport - 27/6/05 at 10:10 PM

i see what youre trying to do .

maybe you should trace the shape out on the bodywork , then cut it with a fine hacksaw , bend it back and inch or so , jold it in positon and bond up around it .

hey presto vents !!

i can send you a couple of squares of floppy glass if need be - or just use one of those repair kits in halfords and lay some up on a piece of glass or ally , and roll it out - youll have your own flat sheet then .

RazMan - 28/6/05 at 09:32 PM

Looking on Ebay I have found quite a few weird shapes - mostly bonnet vents. It would be worth a fiver or two just to see if they will be close to what I need (it also saves the job of making a nice looking intake mouth)
Thanks for the tip about making some thin sheet on glass - that will give me a smooth skin to finish off with.