Board logo

Extension wheel arches
givemethebighammer - 9/5/05 at 08:48 PM

Just finished adjusting the camber on the rear of my tiger. Car now handles well but the wheels stick out of the arches (I have a one piece rear to my car) by about an inch. I want to attach some extension arches to my existing ones (maybe like the ones you used to get for mini's etc). Does anyone know anywhere that sells basic fibreglass or other ones (aluminium) I could spray to match the car ?. I guess I could have a go at making some myself. But as it has been said on here several times, if these things are available to buy, making them yourself is likely to be more costly as well as time consuming.

Measurements attached below.

thanks

[Edited on 9/5/05 by givemethebighammer] Rescued attachment arches.jpg
Rescued attachment arches.jpg

RazMan - 9/5/05 at 09:18 PM

Funny enough I was thinking along similar lines using the BMW Mini arches - Not sure if these would extend out far enough for you though.

I would imagine a search for Mini motorsport might turn something up.

marshall - 10/5/05 at 06:28 AM

hi i was reading what you would like to
do to your rear arches i thought this might help go to swtoc.co.uk go into articles then click
on modifying super six hope it helps

givemethebighammer - 10/5/05 at 09:00 PM

Thanks Marshall,

I have seen the article before, thought about doing it then thought better of it. Basically if I mess it up I'll have to buy a whole new back section (and still end up having to extend the arches somehow). The bolt on idea seemed the logical way to do it. I think I will check around the "max power" type places to see if I can buy something I can modify and paint before I fit it. However I did think that maybe I could cut the existing arches off (gulp) and bolt on some bigger ones. Time to do some measuring.....

ReMan - 10/5/05 at 09:39 PM

Wheels with bigger offset?

Volvorsport - 10/5/05 at 09:58 PM

have you tried absmotorpsort? , in grimsby , do lots of mini stuff especially arches with a return lip on them , maybe just an idea?

Or , buy some new arches, cut the old ones off and bond a flange on to bolt the arches to at the required width

givemethebighammer - 11/5/05 at 09:59 AM

Bigger offset is not an option my current wheels have an offset of 35 and the calipers are very close to the inside of the wheel. I can't see how the wheels could be fitted any further under the arches. I am going to go to the scrapyard to look at various cars and see if anything has the dimensions I require. I can then look for some arches from somewhere like abs. I still think the mini ones may be an option. Never know there may even be something in the yard I could use ? I really don't want to butcher the rear bodywork if I can avoid it.

thanks

[Edited on 11/5/05 by givemethebighammer]

rusty nuts - 11/5/05 at 05:44 PM

I was stuck in traffic on way home behind one of the new type mini transit van which had extension arches on , don't know if they would be any good for you , may be worth a look?

Triton - 11/5/05 at 06:32 PM

Idea for you...make a light mould of the edge of the wing then make from that and plop it on the edge.......simple but you will have to paint them.

givemethebighammer - 15/5/05 at 07:15 PM

Well turned up trumps on this one. I went to the Tiger open day today. Managed to buy a whole new rear end in same yellow as my car, in need of slight cosmetic attention WITH wider arches (my Tiger Cat is standard, my new rear end is from a "Super Cat" so is an inch or so wider on each side.

The best bit was the cost £25 !!!

I'm going to pick it up Tuesday afternoon / evening.

Thanks for everyone's input on this subject, I nearly ordered some mini sportspack arches to paint and fit to the car, they would have been £40 plus !

Funny how things turn out sometimes ?

Triton - 15/5/05 at 07:17 PM

ding dong tiger giving summat away!!!!

givemethebighammer - 15/5/05 at 07:53 PM

They were just getting rid of a whole load of old but new bodywork cheap. Some of it was scratched some not. I guess they really needed it out of their way.

I'm not complaining. I have some spare gel coat to match the new rear end. I think all it needs is a good wash a little repair work and a good going over with the G3 / G6 and it'll be just fine.