Board logo

Tonneau/boot cover
zetec - 17/1/05 at 07:47 AM

Anyone had a bash at making a tonneau or boot cover? I was thinking of getting a couple of yards of material and having a go, any advice would be great. Can a normal sewing machine coop with hood material/vinyl if taken slow? Better to find out now rather than after blowing up my wifes machine.

Surrey Dave - 17/1/05 at 08:24 AM

I made mine in 3 parts , boot cover and 2 tonneau's, it was sewn with an industrial sewing machine I dont think domestic would do , (they have trouble with my trousers).

I cut the fabric , and then folded and glued the edges , with evostik ,wood and G clamps , then took it to my sewing person to stitch. Rescued attachment sidetonneau1a.jpg
Rescued attachment sidetonneau1a.jpg

DarrenW - 17/1/05 at 11:02 AM

That looks well smart. Can the drivers side cover be removed to leave just the pass side covered when you are driving alone?

Hellfire - 17/1/05 at 01:48 PM

Very nice Dave - you state didn't do the sewing then why's that

mangogrooveworkshop - 17/1/05 at 05:14 PM

Zetec

A modern machine has plastic insides and thats the problem. I used the old singers and that just about gets it done. The industrial machines are the ones you need. Have you got any sail makers round your way? They do hoods and spray decks for boats which is the same techniques and craftwork. The local lad here has done a wedge of cars.

[Edited on 17-1-05 by mangogrooveworkshop]

zetec - 17/1/05 at 05:25 PM

Thanks everyone, Dave that is a top notch job ! just the sort of thing I want.

You say you turned the edges and glued them, did you then just get them stiched to secure better? Also what material did you use?

Once again nice job!

Surrey Dave - 17/1/05 at 05:34 PM

Yes you can just remove the drivers side , it's pretty cosy!!, especially with the 'Flintstones hood up as well and the sidescreens on.

Zetec: I dont think the glue would hold it for long, but it saved the sewist(?) worrying about the measurments...

The Vinyl came from ' Woolies ' I think....

Hellfire: I didnt have a tough enough sewing machine, the one I use for my curtains wouldn't handle it

Us 'Southern Soft Twats' can do anything!!

[Edited on 17/1/05 by Surrey Dave]

albertz - 18/1/05 at 09:41 PM

Thats a nice arrangement, i'll be happy with a boot cover half as good looking as that.

Could i ask what kind of fasteners you have used and where you got them from?

Surrey Dave - 22/1/05 at 12:42 PM

i call them poppers but I'm not sure if thats the real name!

They came from 'Woolies' , and you need a little anvil and punch to fit them.

I used a few 'lift the dot' fasteners in crucial areas.

zetec - 22/1/05 at 04:33 PM

Got a quote today from a firm to do a set as per Dave's car £225.

Looks a bit high, suspect materials would cost about £50 (zip, fixings, vinyl etc) so £175 labour...

Anyone else had one made, and if so what price?

Surrey Dave - 22/1/05 at 05:37 PM

Zetec: You are welcome try my tonneau's ,and boot cover on your car.

The tonneau's apart from working out the shape are not very difficult , just flat vinyl with an 1" or so turn up round the edge.

I have no centre zip ,just a healthy overlap.

The rear cover was a bit more trial and error ,but even if it did not fit your car it may be near enough to make a pattern from.

zetec - 23/1/05 at 11:41 AM

Thanks Dave.