Board logo

Vented side panels
beaver34 - 12/2/14 at 10:24 PM

Show us yours!

Also how you did it and what's best to cut the alloy with, after doing mine next month

Thanks

Not Anumber - 12/2/14 at 11:53 PM

MKs have a huge gap round the suspenson beween the nose cone and side panel. This wasnt great in wet conditions when i had a distributor ignition (but fine now with megajolt) but it does allow the hot airflow from the rad to exit. I havent vented any further back from there as the heat from the exhaust exits round the gearbox to the rear and is not an issue.

[Edited on 12/2/2014 by Not Anumber]

beaver34 - 13/2/14 at 08:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
MKs have a huge gap round the suspenson beween the nose cone and side panel. This wasnt great in wet conditions when i had a distributor ignition (but fine now with megajolt) but it does allow the hot airflow from the rad to exit. I havent vented any further back from there as the heat from the exhaust exits round the gearbox to the rear and is not an issue.

[Edited on 12/2/2014 by Not Anumber]

i have alot more heat that a stock car inside and need to get it out

by all accounts the slim transmission tunnel is not ideal for dispensing of heat

samjc - 13/2/14 at 10:16 AM

Not fancy wide/flared side pannels. Thats my plan after iva.

StrikerChris - 13/2/14 at 10:19 AM

Hi
I cut most of mine with a circular saw as most of the alu was straight cuts. To form the shape for the vents I made abit of a buck out of mdf clamped the rough sized panel to it and beat it around it. Peened the sharp edges off around the mouth of the vent and trimmed the excess off.

Matt21 - 13/2/14 at 11:07 AM

Cut some holes in you're bulk head, might aswell have the warm air blowing on your rather than getting wasted ey

beaver34 - 13/2/14 at 11:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by samjc
Not fancy wide/flared side pannels. Thats my plan after iva.

yes thats what i mean

Ben_Copeland - 13/2/14 at 01:03 PM

Side Panel Flare
Side Panel Flare

This is what I did, tho mine is fibreglass. I cut down the panel and then stretched it out an inch. I was lucky that the side panels had 2 inch returns top and bottom so it was easy. I couldn't be bothered to recut all the wishbone holes in another panel

I plan to mesh the hole so it looks tidier.

jacko - 13/2/14 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
Cut some holes in you're bulk head, might aswell have the warm air blowing on your rather than getting wasted ey

Yes good idea and have the flames burn you if there is a fire under the bonnet
Maybe not such a good idea

yellowcab - 13/2/14 at 05:05 PM

I'm sure you don't need to see any more pics of my car, but here is one anyway…

Made from 2mm ally, however will be replaced soon with dibond as its far lighter

renetom - 13/2/14 at 05:22 PM

Hi
We did this on both sides of the bonnet
Works fine, less work & only in my opinion
Looks better.

Bonnet Vents both sides
Bonnet Vents both sides

good luck

scutter - 13/2/14 at 07:19 PM

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but do people just use a single flared side panel or do they add a second stressed skin underneath?

Thanks Dan.

yellowcab - 13/2/14 at 07:27 PM

The problem with just cutting the original fibreglass, and pulling it wider - is that all the lines of the car go squewiff… and provides no overlap…

Add a second panel, allows you to join where the bonnet line is, and also provides you with a little overlap of around 5 inches

samjc - 16/2/14 at 12:41 PM

Anyone know if its iva friendly to have side pannels like yellowcabs as dont want to fail on something like that. I dont mind fitting trim that my fly off on the way back from iva but would it fail in general ?

coozer - 16/2/14 at 12:49 PM

How about boxing the rad in and exiting the air out the top of the nose cone?

beaver34 - 16/2/14 at 04:05 PM

Ive no room for bonnet vents

black fingernail - 16/2/14 at 04:44 PM

I have just changed the left front side panel to incorporate a vent. I just made a panel 1" bigger at the bulkhead end so it bulges out a bit. I used 1.5mm ally, and I cut it with a jig saw and a hole saw. The pics from start to finish are on my photo archive.

beaver34 - 16/2/14 at 04:52 PM

has anyone noticed a drop in temps at all?