Board logo

Help on rollbar backstays to MSA
AdrianH - 1/4/13 at 02:09 PM

Adding a diagonal to the roll bar and wondering what is the best way to proceed. The first picture shows the general setup I am trying to achieve.

backstays1
backstays1

Now what I am trying to decide is do I shorten the diagonal so it is not interfering with the back-stay, or do I shape the back-stay to fit around both tubes

backstays2
backstays2

backstays3
backstays3

Backstays. These are compulsory and must be attached near the roofline and near the top outer bends of the main rollbar on both sides of the car.

On the Diagonal. The upper end must join the main rollbar not further than 100mm from the junction of the backstay joint, or the backstay not more than 100mm from its junction with the main rollbar.

One other action could be to make the diagonal butt against the backstay by cutting out a section of the diagonal.

Any advice?

Cheers

Adrian

[Edited on 1-4-13 by AdrianH]

minitici - 1/4/13 at 03:34 PM

The rear stays don't need to run parallel - you could angle them towards the corners.

Also the diagonal can also brace from a backstay foot to the main hoop corner if required.

cerbera - 1/4/13 at 03:51 PM

Not sure this will help, but this is how they were on my Stuart Taylor Loco.
Description
Description

renetom - 1/4/13 at 05:21 PM

Hi
Doesnt the cross brace have to go
to top on the drivers side as per
cerbera ?

AdrianH - 1/4/13 at 05:44 PM

I think that the comment
On the Diagonal. The upper end must join the main rollbar not further than 100mm from the junction of the backstay joint, or the backstay not more than 100mm from its junction with the main rollbar. so when the diagonal is on the downward side of the bend it would be out of the 4 inches.

If the top of the diagonal should be behind the driver or passenger side I am not shure.

The pictures in the blue book show passenger side. I have shortened the diagonal at present and will post a pic soon. i can put this either side at present until welded up. So will send an email to the scrut.

Adrian

AdrianH - 1/4/13 at 07:04 PM

This is a picture of the revised layout with a shorter diagonal.

backstays4
backstays4

On if the diagonal should be behind driver or passenger side there is a comment below drawing K6
which is

Note: Diagonal may be handed to left or right
Drawing No. 6

So I think it does not matter, I have still asked a question anyway.

Adrian

AdrianH - 3/4/13 at 08:29 AM

Drivers side is preferred but not mandatory!

Welded up thanks Joe

Welded
Welded

Adrian

welderman - 3/4/13 at 08:45 AM

Looking good there fella, no problem doing the welding.

You did all the hard work preping the tubes etc