Board logo

Bonnet hinges ?
Not Anumber - 24/11/12 at 07:38 PM

Due to lack of anywhere safe and convenient to put the bonnet when it's off the car ive decided to hinge it to the scuttle and as theres no IVA consideration i thought i may as well fit external chrome hinges.

The 3 types that immediately come to mind are

Classic Mini (boot hinge)

Triumph TR3- (bonnet hinge)

Morris Minor (boot hinge)

Of these 3 the classic Mini boot hinges are the least intrusive and the bonnet of my Indy can't weigh any more than a Mini's boot lid. Do you think this would do or would one of the chunkier hinges be necessary ?

Ben_Copeland - 24/11/12 at 07:50 PM

The classic mini hinges are shaped for a curved boot so wont sit well across the scuttle/bonnet

mark chandler - 24/11/12 at 08:05 PM

Why not follow the well trodden path of hinging the bottom of the nose cone and bonding the bonnet to the nose cone.

Hinges then sit on a single plane and you get to see more when lifted

emlyno - 24/11/12 at 08:39 PM

Be aware that the radii of the Mini hinges may not conform to IVA standards.

40inches - 24/11/12 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
The classic mini hinges are shaped for a curved boot so wont sit well across the scuttle/bonnet

True, but can be made to fit with epoxy putty, that's how I got them to fit my boot cover
DiNoc 4
DiNoc 4

Andybarbet - 24/11/12 at 09:42 PM

Years ago I used to use this company, might be worth a look through their website for a suitable hinge ?

http://www.westonbodyhardware.com/our-products

Good luck

James - 25/11/12 at 01:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
Due to lack of anywhere safe and convenient to put the bonnet when it's off the car ive decided to hinge it to the scuttle and as theres no IVA consideration i thought i may as well fit external chrome hinges.

The 3 types that immediately come to mind are

Classic Mini (boot hinge)

Triumph TR3- (bonnet hinge)

Morris Minor (boot hinge)

Of these 3 the classic Mini boot hinges are the least intrusive and the bonnet of my Indy can't weigh any more than a Mini's boot lid. Do you think this would do or would one of the chunkier hinges be necessary ?

Dig up Fozzie's photos on how she did her's looks stunning. (like the rest of the car!)

Cheers,
James

Not Anumber - 25/11/12 at 06:27 PM

I wish i was building the car from scratch as I could certainly go for the split bonnet like Fozzie's - what a superb car all round that is.

The IVA was several years ago so fortunately radius edges aren't a worry. The car has recently been painted which is why i'm not joining the bonnet to the nose. I just want to hinge the bonnet to the scuttle.