New concepts
tadltd - 9/9/04 at 12:40 AM

I'd like to know your thoughts on the following concepts:

A -

B -

C -

Thanks!

scoobyis2cool - 9/9/04 at 01:23 AM

It's a close call between A and B for me, in the end I went for B. I like the way it looks rooted to the ground, mainly because of the flat floor pan and then the abrupt change as it slopes upwards, as opposed to the smoother underneath of A, if you see what I mean.

Are you thinking of making one of these?

Pete

TheGecko - 9/9/04 at 04:03 AM

I like A & B but A is the clear winner. There's something lumpy about the front of B (ie bonnet too high) and the set of angles lines around the door/scuttle/sill intersection area are a bit confused.

C is pretty much the same pseudo-Jaguar shape as every Marcos, Ginetta, etc, etc, etc of the last 30+ years.

I'll have 2 of Type A please - one in black and one in bright yellow

Dominic

sgraber - 9/9/04 at 04:27 AM

Well Steve, you've made it a pretty hard decision because I like aspects of all of them.

I was initially leaning towards 'B', (I can almost see that one as a middy...) but I think I like the lines of 'A' just slightly better. 'C' has some classic proportions, but it may be too similar to the Phoenix and some other cars of that genre.

Don't you have another concept that is similar to 'A' but in blue? Is that concept off-limits?

All 3 of them are great renderings and I really admire your ability to strike a line with such grace and proportion. Sweet.

TheGecko - 9/9/04 at 04:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
I was initially leaning towards 'B', (I can almost see that one as a middy...)
I was thinking the same thing. Drop the bonnet line (hood for our American friends) and shift the cockpit forward a bit. Already has a nice engine hump under the roll bar.
quote:
All 3 of them are great renderings and I really admire your ability to strike a line with such grace and proportion. Sweet.
Agreed. Nice work.

Dominic

[Edited on 9/9/2004 by TheGecko]

Viper - 9/9/04 at 06:05 AM

C...clean and curvy lines does it for me

DaveFJ - 9/9/04 at 07:41 AM

It's 'B' for me too, it's got something manly and purposeful about it, Although I have to agree with viper that 'C' is also a gorgeous design... how about the bastard child of B & C ? - no thinking about it that would probably be hideous!!

Good work

nick205 - 9/9/04 at 08:58 AM

'C' for me please, but with less overhang over the front wheels if possible. I like smooth curves of the Aston/Jaguar?? styling.

Not that any of the are unattractive really.

Nick

stephen_gusterson - 9/9/04 at 09:00 AM

I voted A.

C is nice, buts its too 'been there done that before' like a jag or similar. A is more original,

atb

steve

macspeedy - 9/9/04 at 09:15 AM

B for me just has a stronger stance and more engine room!

[Edited on 9/9/04 by macspeedy]

ned - 9/9/04 at 09:16 AM

b or c, but c could look a lot like a ginetta..

looking a bit more, the front of b with the back end of a

Ned.

[Edited on 9/9/04 by ned]

mookaloid - 9/9/04 at 10:34 AM

B

Stuart Walker - 9/9/04 at 10:38 AM

C!! I agree it does look a bit Jaguar... a bit like the F-Type / XK180 concept, but they never made that. Great looking designs though, all of them!

DarrenW - 9/9/04 at 12:55 PM

It has to be C. Yes classic and been done before but nevertheless gorgeous.
Perhaps some side vents or something to give it a touch more aggression would be nice.

pbura - 9/9/04 at 01:32 PM

They're all gorgeous.

It would be interesting to offer B and C to pick up both ends of the spectrum: elegance vs. aggressiveness. I think B is the most innovative. It has something of a 30s GP car about it, but it's quite modern. If the engine compartment isn't going to be filled with a blower or something, though, I'd avoid it.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with A. Very classic lines, but not 'just like' anything.

Hugh Paterson - 9/9/04 at 04:53 PM

B's easier to build the plug for on first impressions, A has the edge, in case of a hung vote do I get the casting decision seeing as how I will prob end up doing 99.9% of the plug manufacture while u supervise as per normal when u starting the drawings for A
Shug.

dave1888 - 9/9/04 at 04:53 PM

B When will they be ready. I should have built and sold my Tiger by 2006 (hopefully)

Cita - 9/9/04 at 06:44 PM

C. no doubt in my mind!
It has a lot more style than a...Giny and probably the only one of the 3 who would look breaththaking in real!!!!

Who was the creator of these study's?

andyps - 9/9/04 at 07:40 PM

Voted A but not sure about the front light shape. Love C but agree about the similarity to jags etc.

tadltd - 9/9/04 at 08:44 PM

Wow! Didn't think it'd be that close. I'll let the poll run until mid-October - should hopefully have everyone's opinions by then and we may take it further. Depends what mood Shug's in!

Mr. Graber - there is a blue one and it's a different design (how did you know?!) - but that's not for public consumption just yet...

Good to see that they're all generally well received, and thanks for the kind comments.

sgraber - 9/9/04 at 09:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tadltd

Mr. Graber - there is a blue one and it's a different design (how did you know?!) -

, and thanks for the kind comments.

I am unable to reveal my sources at this time... I seem to have forgotten where I heard that.... I don't recollect that event...

(can you tell that I'm practicing to be a politician)

Hugh Paterson - 9/9/04 at 09:22 PM

Oh so Hippys car is blue eh, whats this fixation with blue all of a sudden, I thought your were a bit green actually mood what mood, this is mid life crisis, the male menopause you know hair loss beer belly, dogs becoming attractive etc etc. Anyway u will know all about it in 6 years or so.
Shug.

sgraber - 9/9/04 at 09:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Paterson
Oh so Hippys car is blue eh, whats this fixation with blue all of a sudden, I thought your were a bit green actually mood what mood, this is mid life crisis, the male menopause you know hair loss beer belly, dogs becoming attractive etc etc. Anyway u will know all about it in 6 years or so.
Shug.

You mention Hippy and hair loss in the same sentence?

Hugh Paterson - 9/9/04 at 09:48 PM

He got his cut to look like a normal person Mines just falling out except during a full moon when I find myself sniffing ass and peeing in odd corners of the local park and getting excited by BIG bones. Normally its just a good ass the gets me going
Shug.

ZEN - 10/9/04 at 09:29 PM

"C" goes with my taste. It's not realy an original designe but i like it.

@tadltd
is this a research for th construction od a new locost body kit?

tadltd - 10/9/04 at 10:32 PM

If we get enough demand, then yes, we may produce an alternative bodykit based on the poll results...

leto - 11/9/04 at 07:12 AM

One A, but with the doorhandles above knee hight, please.

I really like C better but as pointed out, there are a few around already.

I'm not sure the bonnet on B will work on a wide car body.

Cita - 11/9/04 at 08:19 AM

Everybody is pointing out that C is "similar" and "been done" before but other than a slight resemblence with the door style and perhaps,just perhaps the curve of the back with a Jag,i see no plagiate commited here.
Would somebody care to put the "clones"
next to each other so we can compare?

This is probably one of the better body designs in it's class for the last decade.
Even the color match is superb!!!

(Do you guys think i like this design?)

liam.mccaffrey - 11/9/04 at 12:41 PM

i have to go with B mainly cause i thats what i am hoping my car to look like i really like the way the back looks.

i fi could have the back of b and the front of a i would be a happy man

can anyone see fiat coupe in "A"?

i really like C it just looks so sleek and aggresive, but still friendly? do you know what i mean. i have voted b, because that what i am building. but if i could choose anything it would be C what a head turner!!

Hugh Paterson - 11/9/04 at 12:57 PM

Aw nuts I dont like the way this poll is going now, oi twats 500 hits and only 58 people have the gumption to comment on these beasties....feck at this rate it looks like Im going back 14 years to build a bloody ginetta lookalike, been there seen it got the t-shirt to hell with the sleek looks, get some attitude fellas, BOLD is better. At this rate we will all be better going out to buy cateringvans!!
Shug.

phil_far - 11/9/04 at 03:48 PM

Option B and C look best B being more 'innovative' whilst C being a bit more traditionl although still cool. Great work!
I am bound to order my body for my locost shall I wait for the new body design?

Dale - 11/9/04 at 06:50 PM

Personally I like the gracefullness of "C" I dont really like A, and B looks way to heavy on the front for my taste- too bulbess. Only my opinion -I hope you dont mind but I made a very crude edit on B to a more traditional bonnet. If you dont want it left up I will delete it.

Dale - 11/9/04 at 06:50 PM

missed the attatchment Rescued attachment Resize of concept04n.JPG
Rescued attachment Resize of concept04n.JPG

sgraber - 12/9/04 at 02:55 PM

SteveT - We have been talking about your renderings on another middy forum. (big WOW factor from all btw!) The guys think 'B' would make a good middy. Move the cabin forward a bit, add an engine vent and lower the hood line...

I think it's the answer to all those naysayers that claim a Seven-ish middy can't be done! This could be the spark needed to revolution the genre!

Peteff - 12/9/04 at 04:40 PM

It looks like A with the angles smoothed out. B looks like a plastic jelly mould from the 50's.

ettore bugatti - 12/9/04 at 09:46 PM

A is too heavy at the front looks like a caddilac. B is quite raw and pure and would indeed work good on a middy. C is my favourite although I understand the crirism posted about it, but some detailing would give more original look. btw I noticed that the seat postion is quite forward. With a lsis chassis you have too put a part of the door above the rear tyre because the position of the driver.

Mark Allanson - 12/9/04 at 10:07 PM

Applying K.I.S.S. Rescued attachment middie locost.jpg
Rescued attachment middie locost.jpg

tadltd - 12/9/04 at 11:09 PM

Maybe I'll do something with 'B' as a middie then, but not for a couple of weeks.

The bonnet line on this, and the other cars, is intentionally high to clear the 6-cylinder BMW engine!

Steve Graber - where's this other middie forum that you've been discussing these concepts on?

Dale - 12/9/04 at 11:44 PM

I am not familiar with the beemer engine shape but just a molded bump or hump to clear or I think the westfield black mesh one would not take away as much as a full hump in the hood.
Dale

sgraber - 13/9/04 at 12:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tadltd
Maybe I'll do something with 'B' as a middie then, but not for a couple of weeks.

Steve Graber - where's this other middie forum that you've been discussing these concepts on?

http://www.mr2oc.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8
You have to be a member to join and it's really specific to MR2 scratch built cars.

It would be neat to see you work it up as a middie Steve T!