Board logo

Fixing Front Cycle Wings
Dick Axtell - 13/2/11 at 03:21 PM

Who has experienced problems with their cycle wings breaking free? Have seen some examples at various kit car shows, where cycle wing had been bonded on to its stay, but still broken off, after lengthy drive.

Bonding with g/f matting, to underside of cycle wing, was alternative to drilling holes and bolting to wing stays, because of the crazing the bolt holes caused. So what's the advice, please, for secure fixing of front cycle wings?

(P.S. - Am intending to use Rally Design wing stays, and have now discovered that I'll have to uncouple the lower ball joint, in order to fit them).

plentywahalla - 13/2/11 at 03:31 PM

Laminate on some BigHead fasteners to underside of wings.

http://www.bighead.co.uk/

steve m - 13/2/11 at 04:03 PM

Dick

Mine have never escaped !!

Bonded onto the flat metal bar with araldite, then glass fibered matting over the bar (or actually under!!) and on to the mudguard,

i do however perodicley remove the wing stay and mudguard and re apply anther fiberglass matt, as my front tyres are a very tight fit

Steve

bigfoot4616 - 13/2/11 at 05:23 PM

i'm still not sure how people have problems after sikaflexing them on. mine have been on for a couple of years now and i'm certain that if i tryed to remove them any way other than cutting through it i would destroy them.
tried to knock on off on a cone at croft last year, all it did was put a few cracks in the wing

rusty nuts - 13/2/11 at 06:30 PM

Sikaflex worked fine when I had glassfibre wings but didn't hold at all well with carbonfibre for some reason.Found out at er the legal limit? on the A14 when one wing took flight.

Dick Axtell - 14/2/11 at 09:14 AM

Thank you for the very interesting replies. And I just happen to have some Sikaflex left. I noted Rusty Nuts observation re comparison and effects of using it with either g/f or c/f material.

However, if you need to keep ease of removal/repair/replace, then the solution suggested by plentywahalla seems to have potential.

Looking forward to trying out the final fixing.

stevegough - 15/2/11 at 08:40 PM

Fitted mine with Tigerseal following advice from others - haven't come off yet, but I've only done about 20 miles. Having said that, they do seem to bond superbly - here's a photo - doesn't really show up well because I've 'wundersealed' them afterwards.

Description
Description