Board logo

Where to attach the side panels?
MikeP - 7/6/04 at 05:01 PM

Underneath of F1/F2, or all the way under onto G1/G2? Or both?

Most I've looked at seem to go all the way to G1/G2, but I can't think of a good reason why I'd want to - what am I missing?

Mark Allanson - 7/6/04 at 05:35 PM

Did mine to the F tubes, any further in and I thought they would for a gunk tank, restrict cooling and cost more in ally Rescued attachment Underside Front.jpg
Rescued attachment Underside Front.jpg

white130d - 7/6/04 at 05:49 PM

Mark, that is a stunning picture, usually only a view seen by the rabbits and squirrels that you run over.

David

colibriman - 7/6/04 at 06:18 PM

its makin me dizzy.....

MikeP - 8/6/04 at 12:01 AM

Hehehe, that is quite a angle for that picture...

Exactly Mark, that's what I'm thinking too. Lots of reasons to end at the F's, I can't think of any good reason to go all the way to the G's. Protect the engine from stuff on the road? Smooth the airstream over the bottom? I think I'd rather have better access to the downpipe nuts.

Peteff - 8/6/04 at 08:58 AM

You're not putting a floor in then? . That should keep your cockpit cool and fresh, bit damp if it rains though. My sides are riveted to the sides, I didn't bother hiding the rivets, everybody knows you've used them. I don't have any turned under and I finished them at the fu tubes for simplicity. It lets a lot of hot air out behind the radiator and saves a lot of cutting and shaping round the steering rack and wishbone ends.

MikeP - 8/6/04 at 02:36 PM

LOL, not really Pete, the rain will fall right through! Nope, not bothering with a floor on mine, adds too much weight .

Did you attach yours at the sides on the lower chassis members (F1/F2) rather than the bottom? I couldn't see from your photo gallery.

Peteff - 8/6/04 at 06:39 PM

Yes I riveted them to the sides and to the fu tubes with a cutout for the wishbone bracket. Rescued attachment alufu1.jpg
Rescued attachment alufu1.jpg

Peteff - 8/6/04 at 06:41 PM

Rescued attachment aulfu2.jpg
Rescued attachment aulfu2.jpg

MikeP - 8/6/04 at 07:45 PM

Looks very nice Pete! Thanks for the pictures. I really like the colour, it works well.

What are the 3 holes on the RHS side of your bonnet?

Peteff - 8/6/04 at 07:53 PM

I put them in to let some hot air out. After I covered the pedals in it was all going down the centre tunnel so I thought they might help it escape. They have stainless gauze araldited in them and they do seem to work, my feet don't get so hot now..

MikeP - 9/6/04 at 12:20 AM

Ah, very smart, they look good too.

My wife said I should open a window to let out the hot air during our last drive in the family sedan - I don't think she meant the same thing though...