Board logo

New boot cover
Humbug - 16/5/10 at 10:07 AM

My old boot cover lasted about 4 years: plywood covered in a fairly thin vinyl. I have never been that pleased with it because:

- the thin vinyl meant that rivets fixing the hinges showed through

- the cut out for the ful filler looked a bit crap - the edges were not neat

- the boot lid flexed at the sides making it lift slightly

- the fill-in pieces by the rear stays kept coming off

Also recently the vinyl covering the hinge join (deliberately covering to avoid water ingress) had started to crack.

So, Bank Holiday weekend I decided to make a new one:

- plywood pieces as before, but in a different layout with the fuel filler on top and avoiding the tiny infill pieces

- piano hinge instead of the record turntable hinges I had before (!), for more even bend.

- hinges supported by battens glued and screwed onto the lid (hardwood runners off the inside of a chest of drawers!)

- additional batten across the underside of the lid for further strength

- to cover it I used material from an old tonneau cover that andybarbet gave me (thanks Andy). I had to join a couple of pieces but that wasn't an issue.

I think the new lid looks a lot neater and hopefully the tonneau material should be a bit stronger and longer lasting than the old stuff. Rescued attachment 2010-05-16 Boot cover fitted.JPG
Rescued attachment 2010-05-16 Boot cover fitted.JPG

RichardK - 16/5/10 at 10:14 AM

Nice job mate, I'm amazed at how much space you have in there, I must only have half of that!

Nice one

Rich

Andybarbet - 16/5/10 at 10:45 AM

Looking good, glad the tonneau did the trick, that is really heavy vinyl so should last years more

Humbug - 16/5/10 at 02:41 PM

Yeah, thanks Andy. After fixing up the half hood bits that I initially got it for I tried to make a tonneau but it was beyond my skills, and I didn't want to waste the nice vinyl. The boot cover was due for a refurb anyway

Cheers

Simon

Humbug - 16/5/10 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Nice job mate, I'm amazed at how much space you have in there, I must only have half of that!

Nice one

Rich

Thanks. I measured up carefully to use almost the maximum space: the boot box fits slightly above the fuel tank, then drops down to a point above where the live diff would come to on full bump, and I've even got a small "sump" between the fuel tank and the diff that I put a few occasionally-needed things like tyre puncture spray and stuff.

Simon