Board logo

Full cage
LBMEFM - 24/9/09 at 07:32 PM

Are full cages easy to fit, I have an MK Indy, and any ideas of the cost or would they be easy enough to make from scratch. Barry

A1 - 24/9/09 at 07:38 PM

i recon youre best off getting the mk one from scratch... shouldnt be too hard to fit one aftermarket though...

nick205 - 24/9/09 at 07:58 PM

What have you got fitted at the moment?

Chances are you'll need plates welding into the chassis to either weld or bolt the roll cage to. Plates to the rear of the chassis either side of the fuel tank and plates in the seat area either side of the car.

LBMEFM - 24/9/09 at 08:02 PM

Currently got the standard MK bolt-on fitted. A full cage from MK is approx £500, is that reasonable.

Ben_Copeland - 24/9/09 at 08:03 PM

Barry, "welderman" made mine. I haven't fitted it yet, but you can pop over and try it out if you want.

Should fit a MK fine.

LBMEFM - 24/9/09 at 08:05 PM

Sounds good Ben, hopefully I will be free next Tuesday, are you still on holiday then?

Ben_Copeland - 24/9/09 at 08:06 PM

Yes mate, i'm off all week.

mark chandler - 24/9/09 at 09:41 PM

I paid £70 for a 6m length of 2" CDS 5 years ago and paid £15 per bend for the rear hoop, could not bend without kinking myself.

So doing it yourself ~£200 but its quite hard keeping everything square. I have made a few cages before, just a few millimeters out shows when you view from different angles, its not that easy to make a good one.

Nash - 24/9/09 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Yes mate, i'm off all week.

You're not on holiday again are you!?!??!

Did you see the post about Lydden Hill on Saturday? Not going to take the Indy but might be interested in sticking my nose down there to have a look. for an hour or so. You interested?

........Neil

welderman - 24/9/09 at 10:52 PM

busy at work at the mo (real work not kit related) but, ive two cages on order and two half cages to do, just trying to find time to make them. Rescued attachment full cage.jpg
Rescued attachment full cage.jpg

Ben_Copeland - 25/9/09 at 06:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nash

You're not on holiday again are you!?!??!

Did you see the post about Lydden Hill on Saturday? Not going to take the Indy but might be interested in sticking my nose down there to have a look. for an hour or so. You interested?

........Neil

Yes i am STILL on holiday.

U2U away

A1 - 25/9/09 at 10:03 AM

one thing i noticed on the mk cage was the diagonal behind the seats got in the way of the harness bolts...had to trim one a bit to get it in

procomp - 30/9/09 at 07:37 AM

Hi

Not sure if the OP is thinking of using the car for track days but saw mention of lydden trackdays above. Be Warned that more and more track day operators are asking for MSA compliant roll cages. That means that all the ones with double bends in the front legs are non compliant. And also the ones with the high angle bends in the roof bars are not either.

Cheers Matt