Board logo

Round clips - how to remove?
xico_ze54 - 27/8/09 at 11:11 PM

Hi,

in the semi-restauration of a VW Fastback I have a problem with two round clips that fasten the chromated part in the trunk handle. I just can't see how I can take off them. (See the photos)

somebody who knows can tell me please?

thank you
Amadeu Rescued attachment P1000860.JPG
Rescued attachment P1000860.JPG

Dingz - 27/8/09 at 11:14 PM

Push a thin screwdriver in the slot/split and prise the teeth open.

Mark G - 27/8/09 at 11:16 PM

hehe, Looks like a nipple!

Seriously though you just need to press a trim tool/screw driver between the base of the clip and the body panel and it'll just flick off.

iscmatt - 27/8/09 at 11:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
hehe, Looks like a nipple!

hahaha i didnt see it until you said it!!

xico_ze54 - 28/8/09 at 12:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
Push a thin screwdriver in the slot/split and prise the teeth open.

I don't know if I can do that.
the clip has a diameter of only about 10mm.

perhaps the idea of Mark G was the one I will try first thing in the morning. the problem I see is that the clip is more thin that any of my screwdrivers :

thanks all.

[Edited on 28/8/09 by xico_ze54]

l0rd - 28/8/09 at 05:21 AM

You just need a screwdriver for watches.

Those precision ones.

David Jenkins - 28/8/09 at 07:43 AM

Those things are intended to be one use only - you may find that it won't work properly when you try to re-fit it, or it breaks when you take it off.

It's worth trying to buy some new ones - they're astonishingly cheap - if you can find some. When you've got new ones, you can just heave off the old ones any way that works.

l0rd - 28/8/09 at 07:54 AM

I have taken those clips out from my clio when i broke it for parts.

If removed carefully, you might be able to reuse them. (Might neeed a paiir of pliers to straighten it) I did the same when i had an issue with the rear Central locking mechanism which was attached with these and a couple of screws.

nick205 - 28/8/09 at 07:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Those things are intended to be one use only - you may find that it won't work properly when you try to re-fit it, or it breaks when you take it off.

It's worth trying to buy some new ones - they're astonishingly cheap - if you can find some. When you've got new ones, you can just heave off the old ones any way that works.

...as David says, remove the old one with a bit of brute force (cold chisel often helps) and replace as a matter of course. Halfords used to sell packs of assorted sizes for a few £.

MautoK - 29/8/09 at 08:15 PM

I always thought these were spire clips; seems they are called 'Circular push on ratchet plates', as seen 3/4 down this page.
.02c
John.

or 'Round push-on fixes' - try Google

[Edited on 29/8/09 by MautoK]

[Edited on 29/8/09 by MautoK]