Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ebay advice wanted...
MikeRJ

posted on 28/8/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
ebay advice wanted...

...apart from 'avoid at all costs'!

A friend on mine has sold his Omega Speedmaster watch on eBay a few day ago. He's a bit of a watch fanatic, and the watch itself was pretty much immaculate, and he had it serviced a few months back. He went totally overboard in wrapping it up in numerous layers of bubble wrap inside a big box etc.

The chap that won the watch payed for it, but 36 hours after it was delivered emailed the seller to say the watch was not as described as one of the hands had fallen off. This was rather alarming, but he had taken out insurance on delivery (though £500 cover and watch was bought for £650.). However, looking at the sellers history he bought another almost identical watch at the same time (auctions ended one minute apart).

The suspicious part of me says he was bidding on both but only wanted one and he's damaged the watch in order to try and claim his money back. There was 36 hours between the parcel being delivered and the seller getting in touch which seems a long time if it was really damaged in transit (which is most unlikely IMO).

No disputes opened yet, the buyer is going to send pictures of the watch apparently. What's the best course of action from here?

smart51

posted on 28/8/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Does your watch fanatic friend have a record of the serial number of the watch he sold? For a £500 watch, it might be worth getting it sent back to see if the story is correct. If the big hand fallen off story is true, perhaps he could get the shop who serviced it to fix it under warranty. At lest he'll have the watch back.
omega 24 v6

posted on 28/8/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What's the best course of action from here?

Don't wait for th guy to screw you over. As said get the serial no go down to the address asap and get the "right" watch back if possible.
Failing that be prepared for a long paypal/ebay fight and still loose the dosh.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/8/08 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly - this should be moved to "Anything Else" - its only by chance i read this one!!

Can your friend get in touch with the other seller at all?? Whats the odds on this "buyer" is trying it on with the other seller as well??? I wouldnt let this dodgy sounding buyer know if he has the serial number just yet though - save that for if it goes further and at that price i'd be looking to report it to the police if this guy does turn out to be dodgy

graememk

posted on 29/8/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
get in your car and drive over to see it armed with the original serial number

mistergrumpy

posted on 29/8/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
"Anything Else Any other stuff you want to talk about on a car theme."
Sad I know!
Seriously, as said act quickly before Ebay start with their size 9's. I try to only buy local now and pay cash in hand.

MikeRJ

posted on 29/8/08 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
He had all the original documentation with the watch and has a record of the serial number.

Buyer so far seems amicable, but my scam radar is still bleeping. Given the amount of bubble wrap it was in I don't know how the couriers could have applied enough shock to dislodge one of the hands. Dropping it when removing it from packing might though...

My friend has suggested he get a quote for repair and he will attempt to claim the money from couriers insurance, but IME the words "blood" and "stone" can be applied in these cases.

Paul, I agree that "Anything Else" is a confusing name for that forum as it specifically states it has to be car related. It should be called something like "Car Chat" or something similar IMO.

MikeRJ

posted on 29/8/08 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone got experience of claiming from the post office?

[Edited on 29/8/08 by MikeRJ]

02GF74

posted on 2/9/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
yes. you fill out a form and wait until you get your money back.

I remember buying a pair of leather gloves in a shop sale then finding a couple of days later the stitching came undone. As the shop was ,miles away, I sent off with proof of posting to manufacturer, valued at original price, not sale price.

Never heard anything from them.

So filled form out at PO with proof of posting.

Sometime later got money back

I would have preferrred gloves but this was the next best thing.

P.O. are, or were, less stressful to deal with than paypal or ebay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.