Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Worth sharing I thought...
John.Taylor

posted on 18/3/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Worth sharing I thought...

I got a call from the wife after luch saying her MK4 Sdi golf had made a bad intermittent scraping noise from the rear all the way from Chorley to Prestwich on the M61 & M62 which she'd still covered at 80mph regardless.

She was woried about driving it back so I told her to have a look underneath to see if anything obvious was hanging down, expecting her to say the exhaust. What she came back with nearly knocked me off my seat... 'there is a big spring hanging down by the back wheel'.

(immediately thought - 80mph with no suspension, is this woman crazy?!?!)

I asked if the car was leaning to one side or if the wheel was really high in the arch, but she said it looked like normal. I told her to wait there and I'd come and take a look since I was working in Bolton.

I got there expecting to see a snapped spring dangling off the platform, but all looked OK so I asked her why she thought it was the culprit to which she replied... 'I saw it when I looked through the spokes of the wheel, but I hadn't noticed it before'.

I had a quick feel around the wheel arches to see if the inner plastic splash guards had come loose before bending under the front of the car where I found that the plastic engine tray had come loose and was dragging on the floor - two cable ties and job solved!

Confused but excited.

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
'I saw it when I looked through the spokes of the wheel, but I hadn't noticed it before'.
quote:

Ah, don't you just love 'em?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

DarrenW

posted on 19/3/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Ive just wet myself!!!

Thats a good one.

donut

posted on 19/3/08 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote

VW quality (or lack of it) showing through again!! Yes i have a VW and it ain't great!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.