Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hoping everyone stays safe in the UK
sgraber

posted on 8/11/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hoping everyone stays safe in the UK

We've just been notified here in the USA that a very bad tidal wave is headed towards the English Channel and will likely hit within 12 hours...

Please stay safe!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=492533&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

Tidal wave heading for England's east coast poses 'extreme danger to life'

Tens of thousands of householders are today preparing for some of the worst coastal floods in decades.

Sea levels could rise up to 9ft this morning along part of the East Coast, putting lives at risk.

Sea defences in Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft could be breached around 7am, sending a torrent of salt water into the towns.

• Eight severe flood warnings issued by Environment Agency

• Surge expected to hit east coast in next 12 hours

• Police on standby to evacuate homes

• Dartford Creek and Thames barriers closed

Environment Secretary Hilary Benn said: "There is a risk of flood defences being over-topped on the coast and in tidal rivers, especially in East Anglia, particularly the Norfolk Broads and the coast south of Great Yarmouth including Lowestoft, and areas south of this as far as the coast of Kent."

Call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for the latest warnings.

[Edited on 11/8/07 by sgraber]

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 8/11/07 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Not quite a tidal wave - more of an exceptionally high tide. It's the time of year for a Spring tide, plus weather conditions that have raised the sea level a bit. A lot of East Anglia is barely above sea level, some of it below it and protected by dykes (earth banks, not big tough women).

If the weather's not too bad then it'll be OK - but it's blowing hard outside just now...

David
(who lives away from the coast, on a plateau)

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 8/11/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Englands sinking
Discuss:

sgraber

posted on 8/11/07 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Not quite a tidal wave - more of an exceptionally high tide.
David
(who lives away from the coast, on a plateau)

My understanding is that there will be an exceptionally large wave rolling in with the tide... Not caused by earthquake of course, but by the combination of low pressure sitting off the east coast and the high winds... Please correct me if I am wrong.

Steve Graber

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 8/11/07 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I heard it's a 3m storm surge on the way.
I'm in Kings Lynn tonight, but it's going to be worse further down the coast. We'll see.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Paul TigerB6

posted on 9/11/07 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7086280.stm
Browser

posted on 9/11/07 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
As stated above, high tide combined with (I believe) autumn high water and a NE-to-NNE wind are funelling water down the North Sea. As also stated above, much of the East Coast is very low lying so it does'nt take much to flood it. The village where I live is inland but is one of the aforementioned which is below sea level and protected by earth banks and man-made rivers & drains.
Thanks for the concern Steve, I'm reasonably sure it won't come to much.

sgraber

posted on 9/11/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7086280.stm

"Fears of widespread flooding in eastern England have diminished as tides peaked without major breaches of sea defences."

Thankfully you Brits can build a decent wall! Unlike the one on the southern border of the USA.

Steve Graber

Confused but excited.

posted on 9/11/07 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is caused by County Councils allowing housing developments on flood plains.
I live half way up a hill.
My Momma didn't raise a fool.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

RK

posted on 9/11/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
edited out by author

[Edited on 9/11/07 by RK]

Big Stu

posted on 9/11/07 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
We experienced the storm the previous night, as we are 90 miles north east of shetland. 45 - 60 foot waves. I never knew concrete legs could flex so much, bit scary!
David Jenkins

posted on 9/11/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
I live half way up a hill.

I live on top of a hill!

(not that you get big hills in Suffolk - but it's still 80 or so metres above sea level)

BTW: this BBC link explains the problem really well, especially the bit at the bottom - explains why it wasn't a tidal wave)

In the end, the storm surge didn't quite coincide with the high tide, so we got away with it - 80cm higher and a fair bit of the countryside would have been covered!

[Edited on 9/11/07 by David Jenkins]

scotty g

posted on 10/11/07 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Its funny to me how most big waves, storm surges, Tsunami's, whatever seem to get refered to as being "tidal waves".
The Bristol channel gets a good one most years, usually no more than about 4-6 foot. i have heard that the Amazon river gets the biggest tidal wave in the world, don't know if thats right or not.

Simon

posted on 10/11/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Steve

Thanks for the concerns - I didn't actually realise they were predicting a prob till they announced on the news that flooding wasn't expected

I don't know if you are aware that there is a current running between the UK and Scandanavia (north to south) then through the English Channel (this had to be taken into account when building the channel tunnel as they couldn't use sea level for measuring depth, as water is three feet higher on french side). Naturally the flow off water from North Sea down through channel and the narrowing of waterway, add in moon, winds etc and water can get quite high. Wasn't as high as 1950 tides apparently.

Scotty,

They tidal bores and iirc the amazon one reaches quite a speed - for adrenalin junkies:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2006/sep/03/extremesportsholidays.brazil

From Nat Geo:

"The phenomenon is "a wave that forms at the head of the incoming tide in certain rivers or estuaries," explains tidal bore surfer and researcher Tom Wright of the Tidal Bore Research Society Web site. "It is the product of the tide wave and should not be confused with a [tsunami]."

A tidal bore can travel in excess of 20 miles an hour (30 kilometers an hour) and gets stronger as the river gets narrow and shallower, reaching recorded heights of up to 30 feet (9 meters). The pororoca, as the bores are known in the Brazilian Amazon, has been sighted over 180 miles (300 kilometers) inland on the Rio Guajara."

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 10/11/07 by Simon]

scotty g

posted on 11/11/07 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
I have seen people surfing the Bristol channel wave a few times, they can stay on the same wave for miles and miles.
radical dudes.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.