Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cladding
omega 24 v6

posted on 10/7/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Cladding

It's that time again when the sh*tiest job rears it's ugly head PAINTING THE HOUSE EXTERIOR WOODWORK I effing hate it and so I'm wondering if some of the gurus could advise me on the following.
I'm contemplating the plastic soffit facia set ups. But a few questions arise as follows

1 Do I use cover boards or remove the wood and replace with the thicker plastic versions?

2 Any makes I should steer clear of i.e. discoloration etc

3 Logic tells me that it would be quite severely affected by thermal expansion from the sun. Does this mean it starts to "bag" between the fixings or am I worrying about nothing?

4 The boards that are there at the moment have no ventilators in them (other than natural draughts) Should I fit them or not (I think not as the house can be quite airy as is.)

OK tell me whats what please.
As always thanks in advance.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Confused but excited.

posted on 10/7/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
It's that time again when the sh*tiest job rears it's ugly head PAINTING THE HOUSE EXTERIOR WOODWORK I effing hate it and so I'm wondering if some of the gurus could advise me on the following.
I'm contemplating the plastic soffit facia set ups. But a few questions arise as follows

1 Do I use cover boards or remove the wood and replace with the thicker plastic versions?

2 Any makes I should steer clear of i.e. discoloration etc

3 Logic tells me that it would be quite severely affected by thermal expansion from the sun. Does this mean it starts to "bag" between the fixings or am I worrying about nothing?

4 The boards that are there at the moment have no ventilators in them (other than natural draughts) Should I fit them or not (I think not as the house can be quite airy as is.)

OK tell me whats what please.
As always thanks in advance.

1) Replace the wood. Otherwise you will not be able to see if it is rotting under the plastic.
2) Not heard of any problems. Lots of people here have gone over to UPVC.
3) This should not happen if installed properly.
4) The soffit board (the one underneath lying flat) should have vents installed so that air can flow into the roof space, to prevent rot. They are required by the Building Regulations.

I am considering swapping myself, as I have to do mine this year including ten window frames. Bummer.

[Edited on 11/7/07 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

DarrenW

posted on 11/7/07 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Are we talking soffits and fascias or woodwork on the vertical faces of the house.

If Timber is sound i would just cover it. The supplier should also be able to give you the correct fixings etc and advise spacing.

When i had some cladding work done i seem to recall the guys cut it with a 4" angle grinder and diamond disc. Nice clean cut.

omega 24 v6

posted on 11/7/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Are we talking soffits and fascias or woodwork on the vertical faces of the house.

Sorry should have said. It's soffits and facias and a smallt bit of cladding above my garage door (2.5mtr2)

DarrenW

posted on 11/7/07 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I just had mine covered. Timber was sound underneath so no probs. If there are any flaky areas you could cover them with something but it will just add work.

New plastics and gutters etc can look very smart. There will probs be someone local who will do it for you for pound notes. Could be worth asking about if you know anyone whos had theres done recently. Only prob now is you arent supposed to do the work off ladders anymore so scaffolding adds to the price (or at least that is the rule in England afaik).

woodster

posted on 11/7/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
ive just done all mine round the house don't forget to take the bottom row of roof tiles off and replace any rotten felt...
omega 24 v6

posted on 11/7/07 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

There will probs be someone local who will do it for you for pound notes.

LOL I'll be doing it Locost style on my own. Mr wallet does'nt like to be in the fresh air for to long

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.