Author: Subject: friendly warning
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 20/7/05 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
friendly warning

Rescued attachment fartin.jpg
Rescued attachment fartin.jpg

NS Dev

posted on 20/7/05 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
WHAT the bloody hell happened there then?????????????
omega 24 v6

posted on 20/7/05 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I hope thats a photo shop jobbie
carnut

posted on 20/7/05 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Of course its a photoshop thing. You dont think you get speach bubbles in real life do you???

David Jenkins

posted on 20/7/05 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
To be serious...

I believe that it was an experiment to work out what happened when a bomb goes off in the luggage compartment - they pressurised the cabin a bit as well.

It doesn't take much imagination to work out what would happen at 50,000 feet...

David

NS Dev

posted on 21/7/05 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Ahhhh.

I see!

I was wondering because one of my slightly stranger interests is air crash investigation, and Air Canada never had a report of any 747 having an accident............but that would explain it!

You only have to read the AAIB report on the Lockerbie disaster to realise what a bomb does in the cargo hold. It was certainly not as big a blast as on that one pictured above.

the_parson

posted on 21/7/05 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
WHAT the bloody hell happened there then?????????????

I guess it must have been a follow through.

Have you done six impossible things before breakfast?

NS Dev

posted on 21/7/05 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've looked carefully though and I can't see any brown stuff exiting the side of the plane

(Guess some did probably exit the pilot though)

the JoKeR

posted on 23/7/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
From the following website: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0076.shtml

Quote: The true genesis of this picture can be found at Jez's Aviation Picture Gallery (link no longer available). Apparently the aircraft shown in the "back half" of the disintegrating 747 was in reality a retired Air France 747-100 used for experiments by the British Defence Evaluation and Research Agency (DERA).

In particular, the fuselage was pressurized and subjected to four explosive detonations to determine how much damage such charges could do to an airplane in flight. This research was done in response to the Pan Am bombing over Lockerbie Scotland in 1988 which brought down the aircraft killing all aboard and several on the ground. The research also evaluated different types of blast protection that could be used to improve the survivability of passenger airliners in the event of future terrorist bombings.

In terms of our discussion, the following photos illustrate the effect of the explosive charges on the aircraft fuselage.

The third still image is clearly familiar, and it is obvious that some skillful photo editor cleverly superimposed this picture over that of a landing Air Canada 747 to produce the infamous forgery that we've all come to know and love. But even though the forgery has been exposed, my hat goes off to the perpetrator who did an exceptionally good job of merging those two photos. Kudos!

Jeff
http://www.midwestwelding.com
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.