Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steve Austin is here!!
Jasper

posted on 19/5/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Steve Austin is here!!

This is quite amazing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13378036

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

blakep82

posted on 19/5/11 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
wow!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ninehigh

posted on 19/5/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
That. Rrrrrrrrrocks

Macbeast

posted on 19/5/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
The BBC should know that " electrocuted " means " killed by electricity . Comes from USA capital punishment - Executed by electricity.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

blakep82

posted on 19/5/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
the bbc should know a lot of things
last week on the regional news they were talking about the last man to be executed for stealing a horse in scotland. they said he was hung. shouldn't that be 'hanged'? anyway, never mind that, this is awesome

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

coyoteboy

posted on 19/5/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The BBC should know that " electrocuted " means " killed by electricity . Comes from USA capital punishment - Executed by electricity.

Glad it's not just me that found that intensely irritating.

David Jenkins

posted on 19/5/11 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
the bbc should know a lot of things
last week on the regional news they were talking about the last man to be executed for stealing a horse in scotland. they said he was hung. shouldn't that be 'hanged'? anyway, never mind that, this is awesome

Perhaps he was "hung" !

Jasper

posted on 20/5/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
The one that really gets me, and EVERYONE uses it, including all BBC presenters:

Jealous - when people really mean envious. An example would be 'I'm really jealous of his car' - unless his car is having it away with his wife, he actually means envious, but everyone uses it this way now.

That's my real pet hate

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

David Jenkins

posted on 20/5/11 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
The English language changes over time, and there's nothing that can be done about it. I no longer think that it's important to be pedantic.

I used to get annoyed when a news-reader said "a team had been decimated by illness" or some similar phrase. Literally, that mean that one tenth of the team had been beaten to death by the rest of the squad! In Roman times, if a legion had shown cowardice in battle, they would be ordered to decimate the ranks - one tenth of the legion would be killed by the remainder. If they didn't do this then the whole lot would have been killed by other legions.

coyoteboy

posted on 20/5/11 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The English language changes over time, and there's nothing that can be done about it. I no longer think that it's important to be pedantic.

That's a lazy way of looking at it, words generally change in spelling and commonality of use, not meaning. Most people completely mis-use words, things like bought and brought. Doesn't mean it should be tolerated and ignored as it's wrong and inhibits communication to greater and lesser degrees depending on where it's used. It also widens the gulf between the lay person and various fields of knowledge which isn't helpful to progress society. How can society improve if its language is constantly simplified and made more ambiguous?

Peteff

posted on 20/5/11 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
What annoys me is when people write "would of" instead of "would have" Cool hand though

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

AndyW

posted on 20/5/11 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
yea, wot gets me right iz dat in modern timez, talk is gonna change. Like, if its "bad" its actually good. No one uses money anymore, it's skrilla. Check it out.....

Cool hand

Ninehigh

posted on 20/5/11 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

That's a lazy way of looking at it, words generally change in spelling and commonality of use, not meaning.

Ah, so are you still gay about getting a new job?

Didn't know "jealous" meant "cuckolded" though... And "electrocuted" does get me, mostly because it's great fun telling someone who's recieved an electric shock that they haven't been electrocuted otherwise when's the effing funeral you gimboid!

blakep82

posted on 20/5/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
if people get annoyed with the way people write stuff, why ain't they speaking in the way shakespear wrote? or even older fashion that that? lol

coyoteboy

posted on 20/5/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ah, so are you still gay about getting a new job?

To be honest, I've used gay in that context, yes, despite the smiles from others

quote:
if people get annoyed with the way people write stuff, why ain't they speaking in the way shakespear wrote? or even older fashion that that? lol

Because I think we've developed the language further than that point in time, so using that would be a step backwards - many of their words were ambiguous and now we have words and grammar to separate the meanings. Using an existing word incorrectly because you don't know or can't be bothered finding the correct word is not exactly sensible is it? That's like saying "I'm going to the apple" to mean "I'm going to the shops" and then getting upset when people say "umm, 'apple' doesn't mean 'shops'". We all make mistakes at times but you'd hope a British broadcasting company could at least spare the time to use the correct words that already exist to do the job, at least people on forii (forums?) are likely to be rushing and their posts are unlikely to be criticised or held up as examples of how do do things.

Ninehigh

posted on 20/5/11 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Because since his day we've invented spelling... the "most famous English writer" hasn't (as far as our evidence shows) spelt his name the same twice

David Jenkins

posted on 20/5/11 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

That's a lazy way of looking at it, words generally change in spelling and commonality of use, not meaning.

Not lazy - practical. I try very hard to use the correct words at the appropriate time, but I won't criticise other people who use words in their colloquial sense, or in their common usage.

If you want to see how the meaning of words has changed with time, have a look at World Wide Words - you will be astonished at the number of words that have completely changed their meaning over the centuries (even over the decades). If you like words, this is a VERY rewarding site.

coyoteboy

posted on 20/5/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not lazy - practical. I try very hard to use the correct words at the appropriate time, but I won't criticise other people who use words in their colloquial sense, or in their common usage.

I wouldn't criticise someone on a forum....no, I might if it was the bought/brought sort of confusion as these are things that need to be stamped out - they cause confusion with everyone concerned. It is lazy, it has nothing to do with practicality - it's just someone who didn't realise it was the wrong word (but should have as they're paid to write news!). But someone in the media, presenting through an international portal should be correctly using words and grammar, it's their job to put stories into the correct structure and words! Don't get me wrong, I've every sympathy for people who struggle to spell things due to learning difficulties or not knowing the correct word as they've never been taught it, but those who choose to mis-use words and can't be bothered annoy me as well as those in the media who do it perpetuate the problem.

Reading the work of dozens of degree-level technical students it can be quite shocking how poorly they seem able to put a point across and it doesn't seem to be improving with time, which doesn't bode well for skills, understanding and advancement of the UK.

On forums it's a bit more acceptable, people tend to be quickly rattling out a few sentences.

[Edited on 20/5/11 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.