Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pig Flu
MikeCapon

posted on 1/12/09 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Pig Flu

Serious question(s)....

Over here (France) the vaccinations are just becoming available. There seems to be a great deal of debate over the efficacity of the vaccine and also the risks involved. Some doctors are even saying (off the record) that they think it's a waste of time.

What's the view in the UK? Has everyone been vaccinated? Are there any risks? I have twin girls aged two and a half who are apparently in a high risk group. Is this so?

What's your view.

BenB's a doc so it would be good to hear from him too and any others 'in the trade' so to speak!

Thanks in advance,
Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 1/12/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Frankly I'll take my chances with swine flu rather than risk the vaccine. It's not a particularly dangerous form of flu anyway, no worse than normal seasonal flu unless you are already ill or frail in some way. It tends to be mildest in children as well.

Have you read this?

Confused but excited.

posted on 1/12/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
^ Now that was scary!

In reply to Mike, I'm over 60 with, among other things going wrong, a chronic cardiac condition. I haven't been offered it yet.
Looking at that link above, I think I'm bloody glad.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

MikeCapon

posted on 2/12/09 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I'll be doing a bit more research but I think it's safe to say that MikeRJ's link has dampened my enthusiasm to vaccinate my offspring.

Cheers,
Mike

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
t.j.

posted on 2/12/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Around here we also the "risc-people" can have one.
As one child has asthma we gave it the vaccine
She did have 38.5 dgr for 3 days.

I think at the time of all the other vaccines people struggled with the question if they are doing right.

I'm happy with it now, due the 30-40 % sick childern at school.

[Edited on 2/12/09 by t.j.]

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

cd.thomson

posted on 2/12/09 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
You really need to talk to properly trained doctors (on the record) about this and your concerns.

Medical staff do not needlessly try and flog you stuff.

My mum is immunocompromised so has been given both vaccines. Because she simply cannot develop a strong immune response everyone in the house with her has also been vaccinated to provide some herd immunity. No ill effects observed apart from my brother who got an achy arm.

Also, I can't read Mikes link at work because it is classed as "extremist" literature by my proxy!

[Edited on 2/12/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

David Jenkins

posted on 2/12/09 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Personally, I take any information supplied by an organisation that has 'Mujahadin' in its name with a VERY large pinch of salt!

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/12/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
^ Ditto, look at the site first before believing anything said on the web

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

MikeRJ

posted on 2/12/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Personally, I take any information supplied by an organisation that has 'Mujahadin' in its name with a VERY large pinch of salt!

That was simply the first website I found that had the most complete story on it, and I didn't really check out the rest of it. I agree it does look like a pretty dodgy site in retrospect.

However, if you listen to the video of the Spanish nun (subtitles for English unfortunately), pretty much everything she says can be validated if you search on the websites of the organisations she mentions (big, well respected organisations, not Islamic nut job sites).

Baxter, a major Pharmaceutical company has admitted that samples used to make vaccines have shipped with live (i.e. not denatured) viruses (including avian flu virus) in them which by itself is terrifying IMO. It's rather unlikely that this was an accident, but it doesn't look good for them either way.

Baxter also patented a vaccine against the H1N1 Antigen that identifies the current swine flu virus at least a year before it's outbreak. Extremely good timing and a simple coincidence maybe.

I'm honestly not a conspiracy theorist nutter, and I do think that a nun, of all people, posting a video on the internet is frankly odd, but if anyone has an hour to spare it's worth listening to the video and doing your own research.

[Edited on 2/12/09 by MikeRJ]

cd.thomson

posted on 2/12/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
focusing research on primary source literature rather than "google research" pretty rapidly reveals that the issues involved with the H1N1 vaccine centre largely around the adjuvant used in some vaccines, rather than the state of the virus used.

Different vaccines use different methods of stimulating the immune system. The H1N1 vaccines use live, attenuated virus as do other common vaccines (this includes the first ever vaccine for smallpox).

an adjuvant is used to increase the antigenicity of a vaccine so fewer viral particles are needed in each injection.

The concerns raised by a few are about the possible side effects of the adjuvant in pregnant women and very small children.

This is entirely discussed from a scientific and not medical point of view.

Heres a link from my uni days:

http://www.microbiologybytes.com/virology/Vaccines.html

Craig

MikeCapon

posted on 2/12/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Well thanks everyone for your advice. Seems we're not going to need the vaccination now. Just back from the docs and we've all got a dose of swine flu...

Whoopee. NOT....

The only upside is that apparently, around here with the altitude and the clean air no-one is developing any complications. Those living in towns are worse affected according to the doc.

davidinhull

posted on 2/12/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
My brief personal point of view

I'm a pharmacist and made the choice to have the seasonal flu jab about 4 weeks ago, and flu jab last tuesday. I have had no ill effects

Be careful what you read on the web

geoff shep

posted on 3/12/09 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've had both jabs. Seasonal flu had no after effects, swine flu gave me sore arm for a couple of days and flu-like symptoms on the first evening. I now appear to be fine. I now appear to be fine. I now appear to be fine. I now appear to be fine.

andyharding

posted on 3/12/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Myself, my partner and our 10 month baby have all had swine flu. Don't know what the fuss is about it's only like normal flu over it in few days.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

3GEComponents

posted on 3/12/09 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
This is one of the many jabs i had in preperation for my chemo, apart form a slightly tender arm, the swine flu was not a problem, in fact the pnuemonia was worse for arm ache

Kind regards

John

JoelP

posted on 4/12/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
i had swine flu, was a friday from hell, saturday on the sofa, sunday bored and monday trying to blag the missus to let me go to work.

On the other hand, ive never been that ill before in my life, though i have been blessed with good health.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.