Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Omg I have HCE!
Ninehigh

posted on 22/10/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Omg I have HCE!

From the Darwin Awards, I wonder how many here have this too:

(Moscow) -- Doctors are blaming a rare electrical imbalance in the brain for the bizarre death of a chess player whose head literally exploded in the middle of a championship game. No one else was hurt in the fatal explosion, but four players and three officials at the Moscow Candidate Masters' Chess Championships were sprayed with blood and brain matter when Nikolai Titov's head suddenly blew apart. Experts say he suffered from a condition called Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis, or HCE.

"He was deep in concentration with his eyes focused on the board," said Titov's opponent, Vladimir Dobrynin. "Suddenly his hands flew to his temples and he screamed in pain. Then, as if someone had put a bomb in his cranium, his head popped like a firecracker."

Incredibly, Titiov's is not the first case in which a person's head has spontaneously exploded. Five people are known to have died of HCE in the last 25 years. The most recent death occurred in 1991, when European psychic Barbara Nicole's skull burst. Miss Nicole's story was reported by newspapers worldwide.

"HCE is an extremely rare physical imbalance," said Dr. Anatoly Martinenko, famed neurologist and expert on the human brain, who performed the autopsy on the brilliant chess expert. "It is a condition in which the circuits of the brain become overloaded by the body's own electricity. The explosions happen during periods of intense mental activity when current is surging through the brain. Victims are intelligent people with great powers of concentration. Both Ms. Nicole and Mr. Titov were intense people who tended to keep their cerebral circuits overloaded. They were literally too smart for their own good."

Although Dr. Martinenko says there are probably many undiagnosed cases, he hastens to add that very few people will die from HCE. "Most people who have the condition never realize it. Medical science still doesn't know much about HCE, and since fatalities are so rare, it will be years before research money becomes available." In the meantime, the doctor urges people to take it easy and not think too hard for long periods of time.

How to Tell if Your Head's About To Explode

Although HCE is very rare, it can kill. Dr. Martinenko says that being aware of the condition can greatly improve your odds of surviving it. A yes answer to any three of the following seven questions could mean that you have HCE:

1. Does your head sometimes ache when you think too hard? Head pain can indicate overloaded brain circuits.

2. Do you ever hear a faint ringing or humming sound in your ears? It could be the sound of electrical activity in the skull cavity.

3. Do you sometimes find yourself unable to get a thought out of your head? This is a sign of too much electrical activity in the cerebral cortex.

4. Do you spend more than five hours a day reading, balancing your checkbook, or other thoughtful activity? A common symptom of HCE is a tendency to over-use the brain.

5. When you get angry or frustrated, do you feel pressure in your temples? Friends of people who died of HCE say the victims often complained of head pressure in times of strong emotion.

6. Do you overeat ice cream, doughnuts and other sweets? A craving for sugar is typical of people with too much electrical pressure in the cranium.

7. Do you tend to analyze yourself too much? HCE sufferers are often introspective, over-reflective of their lives.

JoelP

posted on 22/10/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
thats got to be a blag

cd.thomson

posted on 22/10/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
wow thats an old one!

"In 1994, the parody newspaper Weekly World News featured a story about a chess player named "Nikolai Titov" whose head exploded during the Moscow Candidate Masters' Chess Championships due to the (fictional) condition 'Hyper-Cerebral Electrosis'."

remember someone trying to spin me the story in an alevel biology class!

Craig

02GF74

posted on 23/10/09 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
interesting, amusing but has gotta be bollocks.

ever tried cracking a skull open? * no, well it takes a fair bit of force, I doubt there is anything inside the brain that could generate anywhere near the pressue required to pop the brain - most likely it would squeeze out rhrough the eyeballs or nose or ears.

* I am not recommending you try this, not unless you live near to A&E.

Peteff

posted on 23/10/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
ever tried cracking a skull open? * no, well it takes a fair bit of force, I doubt there is anything inside the brain that could generate anywhere near the pressure required to pop the brain - most likely it would squeeze out through the eyeballs or nose or ears.

I'm now just a little bit worried Someone has obviously been giving this way too much thought

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ninehigh

posted on 23/10/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it's in the "Urban legends" section, good job really or I'd be really worried! Ringing ears, brainache, constant thinking... I'd be living on borrowed time!

chrsgrain

posted on 23/10/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Somone post that to the Daily Mail, please... they would print it as a real story....

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

iank

posted on 23/10/09 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Must be true and here's the 'proof'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-03vYYAjA

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

scootz

posted on 23/10/09 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
interesting, amusing but has gotta be bollocks.

ever tried cracking a skull open? * no, well it takes a fair bit of force, I doubt there is anything inside the brain that could generate anywhere near the pressue required to pop the brain - most likely it would squeeze out rhrough the eyeballs or nose or ears.

* I am not recommending you try this, not unless you live near to A&E.

Crikey... I hope you're a pathologist!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.