Rally Burner
Stunt Jumper

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how many of you were teenagers in the 80's
omega0684

posted on 12/9/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
how many of you were teenagers in the 80's

just been watching the gadget show re-run and they did a special report on mountain bikes and bmx's and mentioned to most popular bikes of the the Rally burner and the Specialized stunt jumper! as i was only born in 84 i didn't have any of these but just wondered if any of you did or your friends!

tell your tails!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 12/9/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I had both! Although not at the same time!

Raleigh Super Burner, made from cast iron girders with plastic mag wheels, stunt pegs and trick parts. Weighed a ton, but must have covered 30,000 miles on that thing. Went everywhere on it.

Then bought a Spec Stumpjumper when I was 16, the frame bent 3 months later. They gave me a new Stumpy Pro frame as a replacement. Used that bike every day back and forth to 6th form, parties, weekend job (working in a bike shop), then between 6th form and uni did 5 months as a cycle courier! Then every day back and forth to uni for 3 years! Must have done another 30,000 miles on that thing!

Mike

Nash

posted on 12/9/09 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't have th burner but I did have the Raleigh Grifter! Loved that bike. By the time I'd finished with it it had on more miles then a Space Shuttle and looked like it had been through Re-Entry without the heat sheld!

Heady days! Thanks for the memories. I was 15 in 1980 BTW

....Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

RoadkillUK

posted on 12/9/09 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't the Grifter made of granite? If I remember rightly it was a little heavy

I had an 'extra burner' I flew more miles than I rode on it

I know my mum has a pic of me, my brother and my neighbour on the bikes on Christmas Day, must have been 13 at the time, we were probably wearing brown ... or orange

Stolen Pic

P.S. It's red and white not pink

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
keithice

posted on 13/9/09 at 02:24 AM Reply With Quote
16 yrs old in 1980. living in the uk for the first time on my own.... no money for a new bike....

Smile and wave boys.... Smile and wave....

Ninehigh

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Born in 1980, had the Puch (Raleigh?) bmx... I pedalled it moved

Yeah it was all orange and brown in the 80's, I don't understand what these kids see in it. All I remember is brown, Maggie Thatcher Milk Snatcher, and every bugger on strike.

MautoK

posted on 13/9/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
how many of you were teenagers in the 80's

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

coozer

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, rich kids eh? for me it was either a Grifter or a chopper,.. the Grifter was heavy to pedal along if I remember rightly..

The chopper got racer forks and a chopper back wheel on the front. Made it a bit wheely happy(over the back), but what the hell cool as fffffff...

Then there was the roller skate split in two and screwed to a bit of plywood, instant skateboard!

Problem for me was by 13 I was on motorbikes over the pit heaps dreaming of a Montesa or Bultaco....

Then the pub beckoned when I was 14, never looked back

[Edited on 13/9/09 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
My christmas present in 1969 was a full frame 5 speed Raleigh Sun Racer - I was 9 years old so wooded blocks were screwed onto the pedals, which was fine until I got to traffic lights where I could balance for 3 seconds and the promptly fell over! By 12 the wooden blocks were off and I was blasting all over Cornwall. roads were safer than and paedo's hadn't been invented.

By 16 it was fairly worn out and got sold and contributed to the purchase of my Honda SS50 - but thats a different story!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

smart51

posted on 13/9/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I had a chopper and a friend had a grifter. The grifter was so heavy and so hard to pedal we called the the grafter. never heard of either of these two though. I graduated to racing bikes when I was 14. BMXes were for ne're do wells and idiots.

nick205

posted on 13/9/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhhh! Now we're talking.

I had the following icons of pedal power...

Raleigh Tomahawk (Junior Chopper)

Raleigh Burner (always wanted Mag wheels though)

Raleigh Chopper (cool, but rubbish)

Raleigh Grifter (flip that front mud flap onto knobbly tyre for motoX engine sound - until bollocked by Dad for wrecking mud flap)

MikeRJ

posted on 14/9/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Ahhhh! Now we're talking.

I had the following icons of pedal power...

Raleigh Tomahawk (Junior Chopper)

Raleigh Burner (always wanted Mag wheels though)

Raleigh Chopper (cool, but rubbish)

Raleigh Grifter (flip that front mud flap onto knobbly tyre for motoX engine sound - until bollocked by Dad for wrecking mud flap)

I had all of these apart from the Raleigh Burner. My brother did have a Raleigh Commando though.

I had a Mk2 Chopper with T bar gear lever. Ssadly it didn't have dérailleur gears, but instead a 3 speed Spermy* Archer that would slip at any given opportunity leaving you with impaled gonads. Have you seen how much original Choppers are fetching now?

*the cause of much mirth back then

[Edited on 14/9/09 by MikeRJ]

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/9/09 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Raleigh Grifter which I had for many years, it seemed very heavy compaired to the BMX's but I liked my 3 gears. It was a tough bike and I only ever snapped the pedal off which hurt me a lot

Looking at it now it seems a spindily thing tbh and I'm sure its tiny and weights nothing. I'd love to sit on one again and have a go, thats if I'd even fit on it now A bit like going into a primary school and looking at the seats…wtf their tiny!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Simon

posted on 17/9/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Raleigh Chopper with derailleurs (5speed) followed by Raleigh Arena.

Now have Giant Boulder.

ATB

Simon

hobzy

posted on 18/9/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I had a raleigh blazer - striker back wheel, smaller front wheel and Chopper bars.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:uR_urNEaOT--hM:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/59/206582721_eff1ae7a24.jpg%3Fv%3D0

No gears. I remember the brakes were awesome and I could do huge skids on it. Drove my dad nuts with needing new tyres. Then I got a Burner - did a few races at the track and then it got nicked from the scout hut.

Grandad felt sorry for me and bought me a new bike - a Sun Solo 5 speed racer. Did London to Brighton and was hooked and started saving for a decent road bike.

I always remember my mates grifter had that hypnotic ticking sound from the Sturmey rear gears - tick tick ticky tick ticky ticky tick tick. That and trying to jump it in the bombhole in the woods and the forks snapping

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.