Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: respoking a bike
cd.thomson

posted on 15/7/09 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
respoking a bike

Hi cyclists, I've just bought myself a second hand peugeot road bike for probably more than its worth but for a fraction of the cost of a new bike.

Everything "mechanical" on it works fine, but the rear wheel has 3 broken spokes. What kind of cost am I looking at to get the rear wheel respoked at a bike shop?

Craig

Staple balls

posted on 15/7/09 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
If it just needs a couple of spokes and truing, you're probably looking at 35p/ea for spokes (give or take, depending if they're butted, or made of silly materials and stuff) and I'd guess* about a tenner for the work.

Take the wheel in with as much as you can remove removed (Tyre, tube at least, cassette if you can)

That'll make them like you more than if you roll up with a whole grubby bike and save you a few quid.

*Last worked in a bike shop many, many years ago, and forgot many things since then.

Course, you could do it yourself for about a tenner in tools (spoke key, cassette tool and home made chain whip) along with a ruler to measure the original spokes (remember left and right sides are usually a few mm different)

02GF74

posted on 15/7/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
locoster way it to DIY.

spokes on the drive side (cassette) can only be removed if the cassette is take off - this is either a screw on affair (olf type) or a splined jobby held on by a lock ring.

for the latter you need special tool to uindo it and a chain whip - again can DIYU from old chain and strip of metal sheet.

the spokes on other side can usually be removed without takingt off teh cassett but not always if the cassette has bing cogs.

look at how equivalent spoke is laced and feed it through same way so it crosses same number of times and in similar place.

then just tension the spoke.

Peteff

posted on 16/7/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I took my rear wheel in last year and the bloke behind the counter said leave it with us it's about 3 weeks wait at the moment I bought the removal tool for £4 and did it at home. Put the tool in the vice, drop the wheel on it and spin it and it came off easily.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ninehigh

posted on 17/7/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Are the spokes all together? If they're widely spaced apart (the broken ones that is) is there any danger in leaving them broken?

Steve G

posted on 17/7/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Best option is definately to get them replaced by someone who knows what they are doing. If they arent correctly tensioned then spokes will just keep breaking depending on where they are most stressed. Doing it properly means all 32 / 36 spokes should carry equal load and mean the wheel is stronger / stay true for longer. I've had one done while i waited for 30 mins
RK

posted on 18/7/09 at 02:04 AM Reply With Quote
Again, take it in, it's an easy peasy job for someone who knows that sort of thing. Bring it by here in Quebec, and I'll do it for free. Of course, you'd have to help me finish my car for payment, so it wouldn't be free.
dinosaurjuice

posted on 18/7/09 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
ive worked in a bikeshop for many years and have built probably hundreds of wheels.

dont try it yourself. if you want to learn start on a wheel you dont use. preferably with a cheap and flexible rim (gets you in good tensioning habits)

Where i worked we charged about £15 labour for rebuilding a wheel.

wil

clanger

posted on 18/7/09 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
There you go.
Used this to build motorbike wheels and MTB stuff.
Be methodical and its easy peasey

Spoked Wheel buildling

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.