Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: employment experts
jabbahutt

posted on 29/1/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
employment experts

Morning all

Just wondered if anyone who frequents the forum is up on emplyment law (primarily redundancy)

The company I work for have just initiated the consultation process before making redundancies. I beilieve I'm right in they must show that they have done everything possible to reduce costs in other ways before any redundancies are made.

However they've already made the shortlist of names to be considered made known therefore completely removing option such as percentage pay reduction for workforce across the board as who in there right mind who isn't on the list is going to voluntarily take a pay cut?

Anyone more clued up on what employers can and can't do?

Thanks
Nigel

RK

posted on 29/1/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
No but I sympathize. Time to start actively looking though. Sorry I can't help more. It is demoralizing.
iank

posted on 29/1/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know the answer, but this page (from a company of solicitors) seems reasonably convincing.

http://www.roydens.co.uk/content37.htm

If they have 19 names on the list it's pretty clear they've got legal advice.

Good luck!

Edit: Harsh though it might sound dropping everyones wages to protect colleagues rarely works. They just go and make people redundant a few months down the line anyway and save double.

[Edited on 29/1/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

smart51

posted on 29/1/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
There are redundancies going on at my place and they've done the same thing, except dribbled out the information very slowly. They've taken legal advice and made all the plans. It seems very clear that the whole thing was done and dusted before we were told.

Due to a big problem of our supplier's making, all the people in my team are safe but people in the same office are waiting to see if the axe falls on them. Redundancies are fairly easy to manipulate to do whatever you want. There are a few legal hoops to jump through bur are plenty of ways and means for them to get their own way.

posted on 29/1/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
My place held three meetings.

The first to tell us there could be redundancies, the second to tell us how many, and the third to hand out the paperwork.

Since there are only four of us that are employees and there was to be four redundancies that was it really.

They do have the right to make you work your notice and that's what I'm doing now.
Ten weeks to go. That makes it Good Friday. A bit of irony there.

All the best Nigel, and good luck.

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.