Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: more speaker madness ... or is it?
02GF74

posted on 10/12/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
more speaker madness ... or is it?

SPEED: 98% speed of light

or for a bit less £££
PROPAGATION DELAY: 96% speed of light

or for even less ££
PROPAGATION DELAY: 90% speed of light

Now what has the speed of the electrical signal got to do with anything audio?

Without doing the sums, I would expect the length of cable to make a bigger difference in the time the signal takes to travel than a few odd percent in its speed.

And how does this related ot audio signals, audio being many many orders of magniture slower than c?

but this is irrelevant as the electrical signal will be phase shifted accroding to the L-C of the circuit and by different amounts depending on the signals's frequence, which is equivlanet to the speed being different for differnt frequencies.

Seems like irrelevant marketing BS to make punters part with their money. (and we are talking non locost amounts )

Or am I missing something obvious here?

matt_claydon

posted on 10/12/08 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Moving your head 0.001mm will make more than twice the difference to the time taken for the sound to reach you than the difference between the electricity travelling at 100% vs 90% of the speed of light along a 3m cable.

Don't get me started on the level of idiocy of high-end hi-fi!

[Edited on 10/12/08 by matt_claydon]

MikeRJ

posted on 10/12/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Seems like irrelevant marketing BS to make punters part with their money.

You got it in one.

Obviously anyone that thinks the Intelligent Chip is a complete scam with absolutely no chance whatsoever of improving sound quality is just a narrow minded sceptic.

True audiophiles know that exposing their CD to high intensity light modifies them in a way that makes them sound more natural. Their prayers were answered when this device came on the market.

Perhaps you have a problem with your CDs, DVDs becoming magnetised ? No, neither do I, but some people apparently require a degausser to remove residual magnetism from their plastic and aluminium music storage.

Obviously no true audiophile would be seen dead without a pair of ultra tweeters connected to their system. Whilst normal tweeters tend to run out of puff at around 20kHz (above the hearing range of most adults), these ultra-tweeters manage to produce frequencies of up to 1GHz. Microwave radiation from your tweeters can only help to improve sound quality right?

A great hi-fi system deserves to be played in a great sounding room, and what better way to improve the sonic qualities of your abode than to install a small plank of wood. At just $240 you can afford to place dozens of these into your listening room.

I don't know about you, but I really miss the old valve sound. There's nothing like a bit of even harmonic distortion to colour the sound. Well, now you can create the same distorted sound from your solid state hifi equipment simply by coating the semiconductors in this special lacquer. The manufactures say it's no longer available, they must have been overwhelmed by demand.

Even after installing your expensive bits of wood into your listening room, you may be disturbed by chaotic reflections from the walls and said bits of timber. Fear not, for under $1000 you can buy the Hallograph, which defies our current understanding of physics.

Of course only the truly naive would attempt to qualify the performance of their $9000 speaker cables before properly breaking them in. For just $689 you can buy the Audioharmer CABLE COOKER (tm) to rapidly and fully break your cables in. This is superior to traditional techniques since the cabling is exposed to extreme signal levels and a special waveform that does not occur in normal system operation.

After the break in operation you'll be keen to plug your speaker cables into your system and give them a whirl. But wait, you aren't going to just lay those cables on the floor are you? Don't you realise how sonically damaging the effects or your carpet and floorboards are??? Never fear, you can buy Cable Elevators to lift your cables off the floor giving tremendous increases in clarity, tonal accuracy, and dynamics.

[Edited on 10/12/08 by MikeRJ]

iank

posted on 10/12/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Better get some calibrated wire cutters to ensure the cables are exactly the same length, wouldn't want one speaker to be a few femto seconds earlier in it's sound production would you. That would sound awful to the 'trained' ear. If you're spending the money of 98% speed of light cables it would be a waste not to get them installed correctly.

memo to self must rebadge some £10 cutters put a gold flash coat onto the blades and package them up with a cheap laser measurer. I'm sure I could get a couple of people to buy them for £500 a set with a bit of work on the above pitch.

Must buy some new clothes for the emperor while I'm at it.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

gazza285

posted on 10/12/08 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-VIVA-VIERA-MONOBLOCK-VALVE-AMPLIFIERS-8kRRP_W0QQitemZ190271462141QQihZ009QQcategoryZ14973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte m

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 10/12/08 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
And.

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/outrageousaudio

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 11/12/08 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ excellent - I love all that stuff!!

8 grand for a pair of valve monblocks is relatively cheap - these can go to 50 or more.

I've played with various interconnects and speaker cables but mostly not been able to hear the difference.

Recently picked up a pair of quite £££ speaker cables of the bay - bid but didn't expect to win and have listened to them last night, and I am trying to convince myself they don't sound better becasue I know they are more £££. There is a difference but hard to put my finger on it.

One cheapish but worthwhile mod was to use 2 maplin mains conditioners - one noticeable affect was the mechanical buzz from the transformers in the amps is not as loud plus the bass was improved. One could argue this is due to a smoother mains waveform but stuff like directional speaker cable?

Confused but excited.

posted on 13/12/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Years ago when I was interested in high end audio gear, I read a very enlightening article about speaker cables.
The author was a correspondent for a Danish audiophile magazine.
After trying all kinds of rediculously expensive cables, he had gone rushing round to his mates to tell him that he had just found the cable to end all speaker cables.
He had been given some to trial.
It had amazing clarity, generated no noise whatsoever and wasn't as expensive as he had expected.
What was this wonderous product? You may well ask.
It was 2.5 twin and earth mains cable!
Go figure
In the Frey info it states: Mono-filament design reduces insulation contact with the conductors by more than 80% which means that current signals traveling above the surface of the conductor are virtually unimpeded by the insulation material.
WTF?

[Edited on 13/12/08 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

gazza285

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bullshit baffles brains.

Liam

posted on 13/12/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
In the Frey info it states: Mono-filament design reduces insulation contact with the conductors by more than 80% which means that current signals traveling above the surface of the conductor are virtually unimpeded by the insulation material.
WTF?

LOL!! That was my favourite bit too! I'm picturing electrons leaping out of the surface of the metal and diving back in in graceful arcs, like dolphins playing in the sea . Funny though - I don't remember touching on current flowing outside conductors much in my electrical engineering degree (well not at audio frequencies anyway)!

I think all these extreme audiophiles ought to all study up on the concept of confirmation bias. You get some funny excuses from them if they're ever asked to do proper double blind testing, too .

Liam

02GF74

posted on 15/12/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
WTF?

LOL!! That was my favourite bit too! I'm picturing electrons leaping out of the surface of the metal and diving back in in graceful arcs, like dolphins playing in the sea . Funny though - I don't remember touching on current flowing outside conductors much in my electrical engineering degree (well not at audio frequencies anyway)!

hmm, we did touch on this, something to do with Poynting's vector - from what I recall, the electric field flows outside of the conductor and the points from and where it flows to are defined by the wire ends. Weird stuff.

Here is a snip from wiki-p.

quote:
DC Power flow in a concentric cable
Application of Poynting's Theorem to a concentric cable carrying DC current leads to the correct power transfer equation P = VI, where V is the potential difference between the cable and ground, I is the current carried by the cable. This power flows through the surrounding dielectric, and not through the cable itself.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/12/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
considering garbage music played these days the best thing they can sell is a pair of effective earplugs

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Vindi_andy

posted on 15/12/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
rather listen to the live sound track of a V8 or V10 than most of the music these days
Confused but excited.

posted on 16/12/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
WTF?

hmm, we did touch on this, something to do with Poynting's vector - from what I recall, the electric field flows outside of the conductor and the points from and where it flows to are defined by the wire ends. Weird stuff.

Here is a snip from wiki-p.

quote:
DC Power flow in a concentric cable
Application of Poynting's Theorem to a concentric cable carrying DC current leads to the correct power transfer equation P = VI, where V is the potential difference between the cable and ground, I is the current carried by the cable. This power flows through the surrounding dielectric, and not through the cable itself.

1) Ther is no dielectric in speaker cables, only co-axial cables
2)"I is the current carried by the cable." not ouside it.
Re-read your own notes and see me after school.
3)Loudspeakers do not operate with direct current. Well only for about 250milli-seconds.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

flak monkey

posted on 17/12/08 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Years ago when I was interested in high end audio gear, I read a very enlightening article about speaker cables.
The author was a correspondent for a Danish audiophile magazine.
After trying all kinds of rediculously expensive cables, he had gone rushing round to his mates to tell him that he had just found the cable to end all speaker cables.
He had been given some to trial.
It had amazing clarity, generated no noise whatsoever and wasn't as expensive as he had expected.
What was this wonderous product? You may well ask.
It was 2.5 twin and earth mains cable!

Heard this more than once too, my girlfriends dad made some speaker cabinets for one of the high end hi-fi manufacturers and they had found the same thing.

There is a difference between the freebie interconnects, and one up to about £20, after that I cannot hear the difference.

As for equipment at the same price band, it all sounds slightly different and what sort of music you listen to will dictate which systems sounds best. The biggest difference though is between cheaper and more expensive kit. I recently spent an afternoon comparing lots of mid range (£600/piece) kit and the differences were remarkable, and it suprised me which sounded the best too...

There is no disputing there are some people out to make a quick buck though MikeRJ

David

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.