Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fantastic weekend at Durham Cathedral
DarrenW

posted on 8/12/08 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Fantastic weekend at Durham Cathedral

We all had a great Saturday at Durham Cathedral this weekend. Always said we would go for the Christmas services/ carols etc but have never got round to it. Did it finally and really enjoyed it. And as a bonus the Treasury and Monks dormitory was free entry and the tower was open (its restricted access these days). The view from the top on a clear day is well worth the £3 fee. Good exercise too!! (325 steps each way).

Well worthy of a visit if you are in the area. I also have to congratulate the staff. All were fantastic and very informative.

One of the guys was telling me about WW2. Just after Coventry Cathedral had been destroyed the Germans were on way to destroy Durham. The story goes that the Luftwaffe were spotted from the Tower just coming in from the coast when a major mist / fog descended over the city. So thick that the aircraft couldnt find Durham and had to turn around. The Cathedral was saved. There is a window installed to commemorate this, you can see a german pilot seeking forgiveness in it. Awesome story that has been backed up by eye witness accounts by locals.

donut

posted on 9/12/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I spent friday night and Sat morning till 5am looking for ghosts on an organised ghost hunt. Not much happened but had a fun brilliant time.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.