Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is there a flaw in evolutions?
jeffw

posted on 8/5/10 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 8/5/10 by jeffw]

JoelP

posted on 8/5/10 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
i do think there are some massive unexplained bits in evolution, that all scientists seem to gloss over. Most quoted example is the eye, which has countless genes to make it, but would need them all to work. There would be a selection pressure against half an eye.

YQUSTA

posted on 8/5/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:
Originally posted by YQUSTA

if darwin was correct where are the in betweens by that i mean half monkey half human surly no one can believe that evolution just decided that we have humans we can stop the monkeys from evolving.

you assume that humans are more "evolved" than monkeys just because we're intelligent.

In truth a monkey in a zoo and you have evolved equal amounts from its nearest common ancestor.

We didnt evolve from the animals you see around you. Stand in an imaginary line with your father on your right hand side, and his father on his right hand side and so on and so on. Then have a separate imaginary line with a chimpanzee and all its fathers and fathers fathers. Eventually you will reach a point where there is an individual who is a father for both lineages.

that is evolution.. you don't expect or need "middlemen" in between the animals that are currently alive.

I'm sorry but that is just wrong there has to be middlemen if evolution is a factor in the make up of a human. The monkey that we started out life as is the same in priciple as the ones you see today they have evoled slightly yes but in the same way that man has.

saying we come from a monkey that just so happens to not be around any more is like saying God and Jesus are real and the fairy tale story that was wrote in the Bible is 100% true.

It cannot be proved there are no signs of any monkey in todays world that even looks like a human why not?

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

cd.thomson

posted on 8/5/10 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i do think there are some massive unexplained bits in evolution, that all scientists seem to gloss over. Most quoted example is the eye, which has countless genes to make it, but would need them all to work. There would be a selection pressure against half an eye.

it's interesting that the eye gets quoted so often when it's one of the best examples of adaptive evolution.

1. A cell evolves which produces a chemical signal when light falls on it. This is fairly straightfoward as the energy in light can simulate various reactions to take place. This cell would be selected for as it gives the organism greater functionality.

2. Clumps of these cells would be selected for as they would give stronger responses to incident light. You now have a basic retina.

3. If these clumps happened to form in recesses on the organism then they would again be selected for a this allows directionality of light to be assessed. The deeper the recess the more accurately you can tell the direction of the light. You now have an eye socket.

4. If the recess develops a coating then the sensitive cells will be protected again giving an advantage. The thicker this coating the more protection it offers. You now have the main consitituent of an eyeball.

5. If part of your protective coating becomes hard and it's clear then you have a basic lense which focuses light and allows some detail to be seen giving you yet more of an advantage. Although very basic this is now what you would describe as an eye.

Now these are only the key evolutionary milestones, this happened over millions of years in a 2 steps forward 1 step back fashion in a number of successive organisms.

A key point too is that the eye is RUBBISH. Those first photosensitive cells actually developed upside down facing away from the light and this is an error that has been passed down into our eyes. Light has to travel through to the back of the retina before it is detected! But because any ability to detect light gives an advantage it has proliferated.

Craig

cd.thomson

posted on 8/5/10 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
yqusta, Nottingham probably shouldn't have given me a degree on the subject then !

If you could see evolution then you would see the imaginary lines of individuals I've described. That is just what evolution is.

If you understand that concept then why would you expect there to be links between modern humans and modern chimpanzees that are alive at the same time? There is a link, it lived thousands of years ago and you can see it's fossils in a nearby natural history museum

Craig

scootz

posted on 8/5/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Amen... er, I mean right on!

It's Evolution Baby!

Benzine

posted on 8/5/10 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
A key point too is that the eye is RUBBISH.

Blind spots in the eyes, hernias, back pain from recently (evolutionary) walking on 2 legs, ectopic pregnancy, a throat used for both ingestion and respiration (increasing risk of choking). So many flaws to chose from!

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 8/5/10 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Did anyone see the C4 series where they dissected an elephant, a whale & a giraffe? They showed how the nerve that controls the vocal cords (circa 6 inches from the giraffe brain), goes all the way down to the chest, around the heart and back up again. Doesn't matter if your a small fish, but it is poor design for a giraffe. However there is no evolutionary pressure to reroute the nerve so it stays following it's bizarre route.
YQUSTA

posted on 8/5/10 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
yqusta, Nottingham probably shouldn't have given me a degree on the subject then !

If you could see evolution then you would see the imaginary lines of individuals I've described. That is just what evolution is.

If you understand that concept then why would you expect there to be links between modern humans and modern chimpanzees that are alive at the same time? There is a link, it lived thousands of years ago and you can see it's fossils in a nearby natural history museum

Your degree does not mean the theory is correct as it is what it is a theory i could just as easily study a theory of evolution that is different and it could be argued that that theory is correct.

I understand the theory I just don't have (nor does anyone else to my knowlage) any solid proof.
Yes I agree totaly that evolution did, is and always will happen that is a fact and as you say if I were able to line up all of my fore farthers there would be a difference from start to finish but that alone is not enough to prove we were ever from one type not saying it couldnt happen but as with god until proven its just another point of view.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

Madinventions

posted on 8/5/10 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
However, some points of view make sense, while others just really don't.

It's generally accepted that its not really possible to 'prove' any theory - it is only possible to disprove them. The ones that stands up against common sense and proper scientific analysis generally become the accepted theories, and those that can be disproved or replaced by something more sensible tend to disappear.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

Ninehigh

posted on 8/5/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I remember those Faraday lectures showing some sea animal that still used an eye that was a few "steps" of evolution behind most of ours..

Paul TigerB6

posted on 8/5/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
I don't look to an old book of stories to tell me why my arse is on the sofa.

Its simply because you're a lazy barsteward???

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.