Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why are Americans so fat?
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/1/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Is there something lurking in the grass that makes is dangerous to walk on??? I grew up in the countryside and walked everywhere including miles to school (when we did get snow in winter too) with not a pavement insight.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 26/1/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think it has to do with distance. It's the same here. Also, Remember food is cheaper there so they have a habit of loading up with as much fuel as they can.
RK

posted on 26/1/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Double post. I'm on an iPod touch

[Edited on 26/1/09 by RK]

MikeRJ

posted on 27/1/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Is there something lurking in the grass that makes is dangerous to walk on???

No, the grass itself wasn't dangerous to walk on, it was the fact that it was very narrow and it was a busy road. One slip and you'd be dog meat (or up on a jaywalking charge if you were lucky!) I'd certainly not have walked any children along it.

The point was that there seems to be no thought given to encouraging people to use their legs (at least in the area I stayed, perhaps it's better in other areas). In the UK you don't expect pavements in rural areas, you walk on the road and the relative lack of traffic coupled with common sense means it's fine. Imagine having to do that in suburban areas with far higher traffic density.

RK

posted on 27/1/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget, gas/petrol/diesel (ha ha ha - very discouraged here) is cheap here, and even cheaper in the US. There is also too much parking; a space thing. You don't have any, and we do. Plenty of room for more wide, boring roads to drive those mastadons on and places to put them when you need to fill up again.

North American cities and towns were designed after the invention of the car. That's why they are so ugly. But really, many Americans tend to just eat more, and eat badly. Takes energy to reach for that remote control. I lived on a diet of Carl's Junior hamburgers when I spent a winter in California many years ago, mainly because I hardly ever got out of my car. Good thing I was young and active!!

[Edited on 27/1/09 by RK]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.