Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Plumbers?
Johnmor

posted on 11/12/07 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Any Plumbers?

I need a bit of advice.

I have a house that I built myself 15 years ago with Oil fired central heating.

As the years have gone past i have added rooms in the roof space and now its quite large.
I have a hot water cylinder on the ground floor that suppies down stairs and another on the first floor that supplies upstairs.
I fitted it all myself as am OK with plumbing and it all works ok.
However, ground floor is gravity fed and upstairs uses a pump for showers and bath etc.

I would like to go over to an unvented mains fed hot water system. I think I would need about a 250/300 litre cylinder and I dont think it will fit in either of the existing hot water cupboards, I would also like to incorperate solar pannels to assist with heating the water and have a large south facing roof ideal for the task.
I have looked at twin coil cylinders but they are even larger than the single indirect cylinders .
So heres my idea:

If a fit a 150 litre indirect cylinder on the ground floor heated by the solar pannels and then link this to another similar cylinder on the top floor heated by the boiler. All water is drawn through both cylinders and then feeds the baths and showers etc. As the first floor cylinder is directly above the ground floor one it should be reasonably simple, but would it work?
The cost is not that far from a 300 litre twin coil unvented cylider and it would mean less upheaval moving walls etc.

What do you think?

I hope all that makes sense!

PS I have 2 baths, 4 showers , 5 washhand basins +kitchen etc.

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/12/07 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think you can do the pumbing yourself on an unvented system

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.