Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW YOUR CELL PHONE COULD DO
RazMan

posted on 21/10/07 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW YOUR CELL PHONE COULD DO

Keep this useful mobile info on file

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your
mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.

Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST Subject: Emergency
The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out
of the coverage area of your
mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will
search any existing network to
establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112
can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND Subject: Have you locked your keys in the car?
Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday.
Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the
spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your
cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have
the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile
phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive
your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles
away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you
can unlock the doors (or the trunk). Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried
it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!"

THIRD Subject: Hidden Battery Power
Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370#
your cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50%
increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell
next time.

FOURTH Subject: How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?
To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on
your phone: * # 0 6 #
A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your
handset. Write it down and keep it
somewhere safe. When your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service
provider and give them this code.
They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes
the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get
your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell
it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people
stealing mobile phones.
And Finally....

This is the kind of information people don't mind receiving, so pass it on
to your family and friends.

[Edited on 21-10-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Big Stu

posted on 21/10/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mythbusters

1st Confirmed
2nd Since when did a mobile phone transmit a radio frequency through the speaker. No way this could work unless you are close enough for the key fob to work anyway.
3rd. Only reduces call clarity which can give longer battery life but will not give you 50% more.
4th. True but you can change the phone's identifcation number, apparently.

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/10/07 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
1st confirmed when I kept calling the police whilst the phone was in my pocket.
2nd deffo does work as well, give it a try Stu, don't be so negative
3rd Never knew that
4th Very handy if you need to report your phone lost to the police as they won't do a report without this code its called the IMEI code and can also be found on the original box above the bar code. As far as I know this number cannot be changed and is unique

Simon

posted on 21/10/07 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
That's usefull to know, but re the 4th one.

I'd have thought the best security would be all handsets have an ounze or two or semtex. Someone nicks your phone, you dial the phone, enter a pin, and blow thiefs head off.

ATB

Simon

rusty nuts

posted on 21/10/07 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
That's usefull to know, but re the 4th one.

I'd have thought the best security would be all handsets have an ounze or two or semtex. Someone nicks your phone, you dial the phone, enter a pin, and blow thiefs head off.

ATB

Simon

Now that I like!

iank

posted on 21/10/07 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Re 1. 112 is a valid emergency number, 080, 911 and 999 are also often ignored by the keylock and can make the call - the idea is whatever nationality picks up your phone while you're having a heart attack they can call an ambulance.

In theory this does work without a SIM - it's in the GSM spec I believe, but after a lot of muppets started pulling their SIM's out of the phone to make untraceable prank calls a lot of operators now don't honour it.

Don't believe 2 for a moment personally. Snopes also has it down as a verified urban legend.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

Number 3 is pants on a number of levels, not least that if the batteries had 50% reserve they'd use it to up the talk times they all obsess about.

Number 4 is very true though it can take a few days to get through all the operators computer systems. All the proto phones at work are bricked by this method after they become obsolete to prevent them appearing on ebay.

Wouldn't go for the Semtex option - I know a lot of the software guys in a number of the phone manufacturers and I don't play Russian roulette as a hobby. Not to mention that I think M15/M16 and the CIA would take a negative interest

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/10/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
i've said this once. i've tried number 2 in the past and it worked for me fine. Try it before you just say no!

RazMan

posted on 21/10/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Try it before you just say no!

Agreed, its a bit like the time when Jezza increased the range of his remote by pointing it at his head - that works too!

However I think it depends on the frequency transmitted.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 22/10/07 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
i've said this once. i've tried number 2 in the past and it worked for me fine. Try it before you just say no!

It is simply not even remotely feasible for this to work as described.

You have far more chance of enhancing your psychic energy by moving your furniture around to coincide with ley lines inside your house.

Number three enables the half rate codec in the phone which requires about half the bandwidth. This can save energy usage, prolonging battery life (at the cost of sound quality) but certainly won't magically give an already flat battery an extra 50% useful capacity.

[Edited on 22/10/07 by MikeRJ]

iank

posted on 22/10/07 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Number 2 works fine if both phones are within 10ft of the car

I know enough about AMR codecs and moving coil loudspeaker design to know it doesn't work that way.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/10/07 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Bah everyones quick to jump to it but no ones willing to try. Is it too cold out there for you all? I've a good mind to post my spare key to someone so they can ring me back The Clarkson thing with the key on the head has worked with me once or twice but not very often at all.

PhilCross66

posted on 22/10/07 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen 2 done on TV, not sure what the show was though.
They tried more than one car and keys, It worked on some but not all, so its definately possible.

pjavon

posted on 22/10/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with mistergrumpy, didn't believe it would but it did
Still find it hard to believe, but my miss's was about 30Ft and five walls away and we couldn't open the car but when we tried it with the phones it worked!!!
Not sure there isn't some other reason but it did work 4-5 times
Paul

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

iank

posted on 22/10/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
OK, if we assume it's working AND that magic doesn't exist so there must be a physical explanation to explain the effect.

It certainly isn't via
bipper -> microphone -> AMR codec -> GSM codec -> digital radio transmission -> cell voodoo magic -> digital radio transmission -> GSM codec -> AMR codec -> loudspeaker -> car detector.

That breaks down at lots of levels, not least the bipper frequency in the UK being 433.92Mhz and all the audio components/codecs rolling of at a less than 20kHz.

So some experiments are required (it doesn't seem work on my phone/car so I can't).

1st. Try without phones - shouldn't work. Now with the effect working, try turning off the phone at the car end. Does it still work? If it does it's either the Clarkson effect, i.e. Aerial RF range enhancement by putting a big wet blob of brain in the environment, or in this case a phone. Or the phones RF amplifier being directly excited by the bipper and retransmitting the signal - cell phones have much more range than a bipper so this is favourite in my mind.

2nd. Drive the car a good distance away say a mile or two and try again. If it works and needs 2 phones it must be some sideband communication in the phone stack which is weird. If it works with one phone then again it must be an RF amplifier thing.

In either case it's quite interesting, but only in case 2 is it in any way useful.

[Edited on 22/10/07 by iank]

--
Anonymous

violentblue

posted on 23/10/07 at 02:51 AM Reply With Quote
ever notice the radio in your car making odd noises just before your cellphone rings? Betcha it works on similar principle

a few pics of my other projects

matt_claydon

posted on 24/10/07 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'm /very/ skeptical about the unlocking business, but in the face of the number of people who say they have done it I'm willing to give it time!

If it does work then I'd bet the signal which unlocks the car does not come from the receiving phone's speaker but directly from the mobile cell transmitter - I cannot believe that the loudspeaker in a phone can output the necessary frequency to activate the central locking itself.

With that theory, the car should unlock regardless of where the receiving phone is, as long as it's in the same network cell. So, experiment:

Sat at your desk with 2 mobile phones, ring one from the other and press your blipper. Does your car in the car park 100m away unlock? I will try at lunchtime!

Edit: Anyone who's succesfully done it, could you tell us what car model/year it worked on?

[Edited on 24/10/07 by matt_claydon]

mistergrumpy

posted on 24/10/07 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Corsa on 53 plate. My phone O2 PAYG theirs Virgin PAYG

02GF74

posted on 24/10/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon

If it does work then I'd bet the signal which unlocks the car does not come from the receiving phone's speaker but directly from the mobile cell transmitter - I cannot believe that the loudspeaker in a phone can output the necessary frequency to activate the central locking itself.

With that theory, the car should unlock regardless of where the receiving phone is, as long as it's in the same network cell. So, experiment:

yeah, that sounds more plausible. the loudspeaker and audio amplifiers will not be able to handle RF.

the phone receives and transmits rf, it is interersting that it will receive RF from the key and then retransmit it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.