Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Winter soltice 22 dec
bobinspain

posted on 21/12/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Winter soltice 22 dec

Start countin' down for summer folks!

Tomorrow's the shortest day and then the sun starts creeping northwards. Longer days, shorter nights and by june, warmer weather. That's the theory anyway.

20 years ago this jan, we visited the temples at Abu Simbel in Egypt. I'm not a 'culture-vulture' by any means, and the locost G&Ts on the Nile cruise were what attracted me, but I can still remember some of the facts because they were truly mind-blowing.
There was a dude called Ptah, god of the underworld, and his statue along with several others; Ramases etc sit at the back of this huge temple. The whole temple had to be lugged in blocks like a giant Lego-set and raised 60 metres to prevent it being submerged when the Aswan dam was built and Lake Nasser was created back in the early 60s. Huge, huge project in itself. But get this: in its original location, on two pre-determined days a year only, (same number of days either side of the winter solstice), the sun's rays illuminate all the statues (Indiana Jones style) ALL BUT that of Ptah, because he's the underworld dude and is perpetually in darkness.
The temples, there are two of them, were built over 3,000 years ago. No lasers or theodolites for those boys. It's impossible to imagine how they worked to such precision.

The dates the illumination occurred coincided with Ramases birth and coronation, (or some such, I don't recall), but dashed clever eh? And get this: When they moved the temples 3,000 years later, in the 1960s, they got it a day out. The illumination takes place a day earlier and a day later than the original.

I'll bet those boys of 3,000 years ago could build a mean locost today.

21c and sunny here today. We'll 'cop it soon though' as my old grandma used to say.

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/12/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I was just wondering when this was on my way home earlier. Roll on Summer!!
BTW I suspect having lots of slaves gives you lots of scope for trial and error in getting these things right when they were built

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.